Thursday, February 27, 2020

OVERDRIVE-JOYO Maximum Overdrive ...a Fulltone clone? YES! ...but it sounds amazing!

 JOYO MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE 
$60.00 USD
I feel the name is misleading since it conjures up a high gain monster! Instead this pedal is a fusion player/Dumble guy's dream. Smooth creamy and transparent.
In this current golden age of Metal pedals it is a damn big surprise especially from Joyo who have aimed at clones ...But of hot Marshall style OD's
That said they do clone and it is obviously a take on a Fulltone Full Drive 2.

I am a Marshall guy so this is not my thing. BUT! I have bought a few ...all brand names ...many were Dumble wannabes. So I confess I am majorly impressed.

The layout is a simple Tone, Gain and Volume. A switch gives you hard clip, Flat and Smooth. the other switch goes from a JFET  to I expect mildly nasty sounding diode. It has a boost but it is a mild boost ...that is very effective to add a bit of punch without crushing the pedals great tone.


OVERDRIVE
First I have one pet peeve. The graphics and colour give the pedal the pro look but the knobs are plastic. I have no problem with plastic knobs ...BUT chrome plated plastic simply looks tacky and cheap. If a metal knob was too pricey then a white knob would be just fine.

 The Joyo is more then just good enough to choose over the Fulltone.




No comments:

Post a Comment