Wednesday, June 17, 2020

OVERDRIVE-JHS Supervolt V.2 ...a Supro-in-a-BOX ???

$200.00 USD
 JHS SUPERVOLT V.2 
This pedal came out in 2012 and is perhaps the first Amp-in-Box ever to be offered. It is brian's take on a 60's Supro.
The layout is very simple with a volume,gain and tone control.A switch lets you push the gain a notch.
it certainly has plenty of character but it's claim for being a Supro is perhaps a tad pushing it.

CONCLUSION
I can see why it has stood the test of time. It has a great raunchy sound,
BUT
Supro makes their own Supro-in-a-Box. I bought one
because being in a 3 piece I was using only Marshall sounding pedals and wanted some variety.
To be honest I had no idea if it actually sounded like
a Supro amp.
One day while listening to a video on YouTube but not even looking up ...the video I had on morphed into another.
$220.00 USD
It got my attention because it was my Supro Drive being demoed. The sound is instantly recognizable. So I grabbed my mouse to rewind and see the guys settings so I could compare them to mine. 
BUT ...BIG BUT!
I was stunned to find out I was listening to a 
Supro amp demo!

A big part of a real tube amp is it's output transformer. 
the Supro Drive actually uses an output transformer
in the pedal so the pedal both sounds and responds to your touch like real tube amp. Jimmy Page found that a Tele and
a Supro amp fit like a hand in a glove. So do I when it comes to this pedal! If you play rock & use a Tele  ...this is a must have pedal. 
Check the Post I made a few years back.


No comments:

Post a Comment