Saturday, June 13, 2020

OVERDRIVE - AMT ELECTRONICS B1 Legend Amps ...a Bogner amp-in-a-Box


$110.00 USD
 AMT ELECTRONICS B1 LEGEND AMPS 
About 10 years ago AMT brought out a series of unique pedals. All Classic amps-in-a Box.
Series I had 8 & Series II had 11. That is 19 pedals all of which did very good emulations of every classic amp and it included  a lot of hot gourmet modern Metal gems as well.They included Vox, Fender, Marshall, Bogner, Peavey, Soldano, ENGL, MESA, VHT, Krank and Orange. A few were honored with 2 of their amps covered. In general
these are $110.00 USD for the I Series and $160.00 USD for the II Series. Considering the build quality, features and sound they are a very good deal.
Like many makers these days you can buy direct at a few bricks and mortar stores. They too sell online. With the C19 thing crippling a lot of retail stores it is not surprising if a few stores need money just to pay high rents on locked down stores.
There is an unwritten rule. Any store who sells for less than the manufacturers store suddenly finds
his next order has back orders and long waits getting delivery. The stores use a way to get around it. When you see pedals from these stores with a great price on more than one used pedal and in mint condition you can be sure you are getting a great deal on a brand new one. In fact I have got them in a sealed makers box with tape that damages the plastic bag when unsealing it to get the pedal out. Oh yes ..the warranty card is in the box too.

The layout is the obvious level and gain ...but nothing is better than a nice 3 way EQ. 
I am sure you noticed the pedal has a second output. It is getting fed by an analog speaker emulator so you can take it direct to the board or a PC. Ten years ago when the pedal was designed this was very cool. Now we have killer ir's ....so?
CONCLUSION
Well there is a different Bogner in Series II which I might have preferred although this is close enough that on my board going thru my Marshall I could easily wished I had this one. 
At full pop I would not have bought any pedal but at $70.00 USD from a bid on Reverb...ahhh. 
I have bought 3 or 4 pedals lately that I should not have. What with the C19 killing my day job permanently and hopes of any job are very improbable in the foreseeable future then buying pedals is mad. But .... lol
The thing I have always liked about Bogner is no mater how big a slam they give to 
their amps you can always hear some of that classic fat warm Marshall sound coming 
through.This pedal captures the Marshall thing and that big slamming in your face sound!

WHAT ABOUT THE BOGNOR PEDALS?
Out of curiosity I put it up against the Bogner Red Mini pedal as they are the most similar. They sounded a little different but nothing I think you can tell from a video that makes one have edge out the other. One did not have more of anything just a different way to dial it in.
The Bogner has a switch for pre and post EQ and another for more gain and a variac switch.
Cool but the AMT simply puts all the gain on one knob so you have just as much you want. Yes pre and post gain EQ is all very nice on an OD ...but it does nothing to capture a Marshall on steroids and that's why I want the pedal in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment