Wednesday, May 17, 2023

REVERB- STRYMON Cloudburst Ambient Reverb... it doesn't own you!!!

STRYMON|CLOUDBURST AMBIENT REVERB
$280.00 USD
I review this pedal in Feb. the day it came out. It blew me away even though the demos were trying to treat this like the literally hundreds of ambience pedals out there. It is really more of a Synth. It is the organ in the cathedral not the sound of the organ echoing off the cathedral walls.
I hate ambient reverbs!!!! Why??? Because they play you ...you don't play
them. If I write a beautiful a beautiful melodic tune every 3rd note I play rings thru the note before it and cause a total dis-chord. For example if I go from G# to G the G# sustains over the G and you get a 'Dogs Breakfast'. The Cloudburst is voiced to act as a Synth so it follows my note. ALL others demand I re-write my tune to accommodate them. Others are for beginners that playing one note at a time and have a lunch break between notes.
CONCLUSION
Perry Franks video brilliantly shows what the pedal can do. It sounds like what it is . A well written tune  with what sounds like a second keyboard playing along with him. On 99% with other ambience pedals if you played 
what you are putting thru them with the pedal turned off you would be 
embarrassed by what your listener heard. 
__

1 comment:

  1. hi! Thx for commenting on this magic-ambient-reverb-hype-train thing. love the 'embarrassing' part. Putting something like this into good use in the context of a song or even a band seems impossible (although I really like to dive into sound for myself for a while). But from my point of view there are some great examples how to do this: "Thread of Life" (2011) and "Searching for Jupiter" (2013) from Magnus Öström. I esp. like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT2rKf_SqRE . Distortion, delay, vibrato and lots of reverb - almost turns the guitar into something different. I still cannot figure out, how he can make the attack to completely vanish.

    ReplyDelete