Friday, July 13, 2018

OVERDRIVE- SINE EFFECTS Disphoria ...a high gain transparent OD? more sustain then the best compressor? the best OD for a Fender ..EVER?

 SINE EFFECTS ELECTRONICS DISPHORIA 

$125.00 USD
If you have shades of deja vu don't distress this Post is a total rewrite of a POST I have already done???
I stumbled onto a video of this pedal and was taken back by what I was convinced was a straight forward simple Metal pedal. I felt it was exceptional sounding and obviously well made. The clincher was it was only $125.00 USD

The pedal was out of production so I convinced owner builder Grant Macmillan of Sine pedals to bring it back. I told him that many players reading my blog would want one.

This is true ... there are 98,000 of you guys and when I say something is hot ...a hundred of you will often order one ...so the guy gets swamped with orders.

So I just got mine. I was expecting as I said a Heavy Metal pedal. With your average pedal if everything is set on about noon and you turn it on it sounds more or less like the video's.
Well it did not!!! AT ALL!!!
I latter learnt if you turn up the volume, which has enough level that it is louder than then the loudest booster pedal I have ever heard ...then it drives the preamp in your amp into high gain. LOL

(Note: if you leave the pedal at unity gain and stack it in front of even a cheap Fuzz it will do a passable copy of what you hear on the video's)


 So what did I get buying this pedal. Anything? 

What I got was a...

BUILD
It is a very high quality hand made pedal made of quality parts and built like a tank.
The box it's built in is much smaller then it looks. I am familiar with it as it one of the Hammond style boxes. I know of no other maker who uses it. It looks dead cool too!

BOOSTER
If you buy this pedal you will have a boost that is easily creates double the level of all it's competitors. It blows the Xotic EP and the Wampler dB+ out of the water. I have owned both. Compared to this they are junk.

COMPRESSOR
The pedal has an even smooth sustain with zero artifacts. ALL comps have  some artifacts. In... short it sustains as good as the best compressor sustainer ...and sounds better too.

TRANSPARENT OD
The best of these have very little sustain. The overdrive tone is clouded by all kinds of fizz or the harmonics and overtones are nasty and jagged or dropping out or worse still ...fading in and out. The attack of all of them is so muddy that the makers blend in some clean sound with the effect. The worst of these is the Tube Screamer.
With the Distorphoria headroom and transient response on the attack is awesome!!!
The Disphoria has an attack and sustain to die for!!!

IT MAKES A STRAT SOUND MORE LIKE A STRAT TURNED ON THEN OFF!!!
IT BLEW MY MIND ON MY TELE ...It turned my Ricky PU into monster!!!
If you own a Fender guitar it is an absolutely MUST HAVE pedal!!!
If you stack it in front of any OD it will add balz and punch and make even a $30.00 chinese 'special' sound like it belongs in the big league!
And yes it sounds great on a hummie too!

THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BEST TRANSPARENT OD I HAVE EVER HEARD OR PLAYED!!! 

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO'S
I WOULD NEVER HAVE THOUGHT FROM THEM WHAT THIS PEDAL CAN DO!!!




I give this 10 out of 10 for an any low, mid or otherwise gain transparent OD. 
For the guy with a Fender I give it 100 out of 10 and if I were Fender I would buy out Sine Electronics!
NO SH@T IT IS THAT GOOD!!!

My Silvertone(Dano) is in the shop having a 64  Strat PU (Hendrix jobbie) put in it. I can't wait to get it back and team it up with the Disphoria!!!!

I consider this a minor masterpiece!!!!
Well done Grant Macmillan ...take a bow! 

You have given us one of the best OD's on the planet!!!

3 comments:

  1. Where can you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Sine Effect eventually on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/sineeffect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive asked for a cusrom order of the Disphoria in smaller enclosure.

    ReplyDelete