Sunday, July 1, 2018

OVERDRIVE- STRING THEORY FX KE/64 Overdrive ...completely transparent OD ???

$325.00 USD

 STRING THEORY FX KE/64 OVERDRIVE 

Yes ...a pedal that claims to have a totally transparent OD sound
Hand made from a new company that is about to change the casing and soon add a second pedal ....a Fuzz.

It has the simplest of layouts ...just volume and gain.
I have a few low gain drives but none are transparent because the one's that claim to be I find are full of artifacts ...a lot of grit and harmonics that keep coming in then droping out before the sound you made with a note or chord naturally fades away.
Well how does this stack up? Well to me it seems to be not much different then a good boost pedal with a bit of second harmonic distortion with just touch of compression.
I guess a lot of players will like the simplicity of it.
Me? I will stick with my Wampler booster.

CONCLUSION

The $325.00 USD price tag is a bit much for what I hear.
The Vertex Steal String Clean Drive is a better bet in my opinion.
It is a rip off of a the solid state preamp channel that you can push into the adjoining tube channel of Dumble's Steel String Singer amp. It does a very very surprising good fake Dumble sound if put in front of even a new Fender Deluxe.
Thru other amps it just adds a bit of sparkle and definition.

In my opinion the only OD's that work as a good substitute are very low gain OD's but are highly coloured.
The best I have heard (& own) is the Love Pedal Super 6 Stevie Ray Vaughn model. Put a Strat through it and you get Mark Knopflers Sulton of Swing tone dead on
...and I mean 'dead on' !!!



3 comments:

  1. You are an idiot. Vertex?!? Lovepedal?!? Both companies stole other people’s designs. Dill hole...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, seriously, Paul? Hilarious trolling. Crack is whack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here’s the latest ACTUAL review...

    https://youtu.be/ePrp8v8cj_8

    ReplyDelete