Thursday, August 6, 2020

OVERDRIVE-McCAFFREY AUDIO Zero to 60 ...when a Tube Screamer isn't one?

 MAcCAFFEY AUDIO ZERO TO 60 
$145.00 USD
For better or worse this is their take on yet another Tube Screamer. The standard layout or volume, tone and gain.
The weak low end of a real Tube Screamer has been addressed with boost switch in the low end. The Shift switch gives a choice of voicing which are effective but are their own creation.

I am not a big ts fan in spite of having three wannabe's :-) 
The thing that makes a pedal to be called a ts is that it uses an OpAmp instead of transistors for the initial distortion and it is voiced to create symmetrical distortion. Most modern OD's use FETs because they sound like tubes and they create asymmetrical distortion just like a tube would. 
Two that I own are designed as Metal amp boosters with the lows cut and with a very high gain. The third has a really long sustain with a heavy upper mid boost that when I team it with a Flanger it works well with mid eastern scales to get Sitar like tones. 
Bottom line I do not use them for pushing a Fender amp into Crunch via the SRV way :-)

At it's best  the 'Zero' has an American sounding vibe
like over driven 6L6 tubes thanks to some strategic clipping diodes in the voicing.
CONCLUSION
This pedal has been favourite of many for the last 5 years. It has recently dropped in price. The drop is simply a sign of the times. New pedals by established companies that have been recently released all seem to offer them for about 30% cheaper than I would have expected. Smaller companies have all started dropping their prices
 with similar discounts.

4 comments:

  1. So you use 3 actual Ibanez Tube Screamers, or TS-type pedals? Which one has the long sustain? Also, when will we get to hear some of your music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I describes each one I said that 2 are designed as Metal amp boosters and a real ts is not designed for that and the 3rd I said had an upper mid boost (actually at about 1K) and it has long sustain. A real ts has not got a long sustain. As a result it never occurred to me there would be any confusion.I will give it a quick rewrite so if nothing else it is clearer. So thanks for the heads up and thanks for dropping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My my my, so cryptic! No names? I'd be interested to know what brand would do a metal boost and what brand would have a long sustain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. McCAFFREY AUDIO website is basically non-functional with a Facebook inactive since 2018.

    ReplyDelete