Saturday, June 29, 2019

OVERDRIVE- BLACKOUT EFFECTORS Mantra OD ...a Chameleon ..two extremes ...both killer

 BLACKOUT EFFECTORS MANTRA OD 

$200.00 USD
Another pedal well under the radar as it has been around just shy of 10 years!!! 
I can certainly see why it is still here ...good ol' word of mouth.

Oh my! The damn thing wants to tear your face off!!!
In spite of building it with JFET & MOSFET'S which
are the only way to go for a natural tube amp response
it has all the tear your face off sound of good fuzz.
It reminds me of what I love about a ProCo Rat without the
what I hate about it!

The bass and treble use Baxondall EQ so it will allow you to
match up with both Fender and Marshall amps. The idea of doing so is to make the pedal seem like another channel on your amp and not a foreign sound just laid over it. You have of course a level for the output. The killer is a gain that goes from really heavy to stupid. lol But if you take the gain back to zero
it simply adds a touch of dirt but unlike low gain pedals you have a near clean sound with balz and punch. Killer on Fenders both the amps and the guitars!
The Mantra responds to your touch well which makes a pedal a joy to play.

What's not to love? Well the sustain is shorter then average but it  is thick like on a late 60's Plexi.
I would not want this as my only OD but hell I could stack it with one with hi sustain.

ALTERNATVES?

The very new ...Free The Tone String Slinger at $350.00 USD has a sound that is polished and less aggressive then this but if you listen carefully to the Mantra at very low gain settings the overall effect is very, very similar. 

At high gain settings it is a terror! You get a tone many used in the late 60's.
The Mantra is $150.00 USD cheaper!!!

CONCLUSION
DEC, 2020
I have been using this for a long time know.
On a Strat it is to die for! Brutal but all that 
chimey Stratness comes through.
It pushes you to play better.
Bad news. Rumour has it the company
was run by partners who had a falling out.
This was even before I got my pedal
so It is safe to say used is the only option.






No comments:

Post a Comment