Saturday, July 18, 2020

OVERDRIVE- ELECTRIC EYE Mud Killer ...a 'must have' tool !!!

$150.00 USD
 ELECTRIC EYE MUD KILLER 
It all started with Attack Overdrive who brought out an OD to boost a Metal amp. Like most such pedals they start with a modified Tube Screamer circuit. Once modified it cranks the upper mids and highs but cuts the deepest lows with a high pass filter.
The high pass filter leaves nothing but the upper mids and highs left.
It then uses a band pass filters to cut the lows but boosts 
the lowest frequency at that the point of the cut. This way you have punchy lows near the lower mids but nothing left of the very deep lows where the mud is.

One thing not promoted at all by the companies that make them is that it can do the same thing for dirt pedals. I stack it on OD's and Fuzz pedals for a mud free sound but with more sustain.
The Mud Killer pedal virtually does the same thing. The most noticeable difference is that the M.K. uses a knob that sweeps to find your cut and the 'Attack' pedal uses a rotary switch with 6 positions . I prefer the 6 presets as with a selection of OD's I use it on I can click it over to the sweet spot for the particular OD I am using even in the dark.


CONCLUSION
I want the features of a modern Metal sound like the punch, attack and sustain but I also want the rich full sound of the hot rodded 80's Marshalls.The closet pedal to this is Revv G3. 
I do not have one. LOL ...I do however have many Marshall type pedals from late 60's Plexi's and up that all get extra sustain without killing all their tone with my Attack pedal.
The bottom line is if you play anything that can fit into about a hundred genres of Metal these kind of pedals are a 'must have' tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment