Thursday, July 16, 2020

FUZZ/OD ...OBSIDIAN Fuzzstortion ...the ingredients make a whole new tasting cake!

$150.00 USD
 OBSIDIAN FUZZSTORTION 
An interesting circuit with FETS on the input used for their tube like sound followed by a OpAmp for a hard clipper type distortion like a Rat then finally silicon transistors not unlike a Big Muff.
I assume we get a simple volume, Fuzz/gain and tone
Obsidian do not say.
CONCLUSION
Well you will not find a tighter mud free Fuzz sound. The pedal does not really hint of its ingredients. It is simply it's own thing. 
I am sure it would shine where a classic wall of sound Fuzz simply gets lost in the mix of a band.





4 comments:

  1. Hello Paul.

    What do you think about Biyang's Baby Boom MAD DRIVER (OD-10) overdrive pedal?

    Thanks

    All the best

    A.N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paul

    What do you think about the MOGOO
    DEMON TUBE SCREAMER pedal?

    Thank you

    A.N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Moggoo and I tried a few others. I did not like any of them lol they became popular when guys left their the old single channel amps that did not have a master volume wide open or early wide open. Guys with a lot of pedals like me leave their amp set clean with all the pedals at unity gain because it simply practical. you can use them in a similar are way by stacking them on an OD for more gain and sustain.I have 3 I use that way but they are hot rodded ones made for guys chugging away for Modern Metal sounds even Djen. The cheapest is the Gokko Tonebone at $50.00 USD new. But these pedals are useless on their own they are all high end with bass cut back to nothing.If you are looking for just a low gain pedal to use that way I have not found anything I really love.You could always get a Mosky Golden Horse Klon klone for $30.00 USD. I do not like Klon's either lol. The Biyang pedals all sound very good but they also tend to have their own sound so you would get a lot out of the OD 10 but you may or may not like it.Guys like SRV used their Tube Screamers with the gain all but off so it became booster with just tiny, tiny hint of dirt.I have tried a lot of low gain drives but you either have to push them harder than I want or the breakup signal cuts in and out just enough to create a really crap rough sound.A tube amp naturally create an asymmetrical distortion but a ts create symmetrical distortion which is not harmonically rich. Keep in mind using it as booster through tunes the amps dirt masks that. The bottom line it all gets down to how you use them.

    ReplyDelete