Saturday, December 4, 2021

PHASER-MXR Deep Phase ...Have I have heard this sound before ???

 MXR DEEP PASE PHASER 

$130.00 USD

MXR have stayed on every buyers Phaser shortlist for decades. The 45 with it's half phase half Uni-Vibe sound and the iconic Phase 90 that EVH put on the map with indelible ink. The Mini Phase 95 with a 2 Phase 90 voicing's and a Phase 45 one as well. Then there is the EVH signature and a reissue vintage Phase 90.
So I asked myself WTF else is left??? As soon as I heard it I recognized a familiar sound. A hint is their promo that it is both vintage and new. Then it hit me!!! The reason I felt I heard it before is the damn thing sounds like that the other iconic Phaser, the Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser!!! The approach to create a Phaser sound by E-H uses an entirely , unique and off the wall circuit. There is a clever difference. The classic Phaser is either 4 pole like the the Phase 45 or E-H or 8 pole like the Phase 90. The 4 pole has a more chorus like vibe and the 8 has that audio tail that reminds you of a jet plane vapor trail effect. What MXR cleverly did was put two 4 pole Phasers in the one box. This keeps the units same basic character but makes it literally twice as thick and rich.
CONCLUSION
It does sound very good. If you do not have a Phaser I would check out the Phase 90. If you like it compare it to the Phase 95. I got it as it gives you both a modern and vintage Phase 90 plus a very good Phase 45. They sound a shade a gray diffident but the 90 did not sound better.
Also check out the part for part E-H Small Stone clone. It even comes in the small but robust steel box like the original. It is the Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phaser. Do not confuse this with the company's plastic efforts. It is made at a different factory by the Keyboard Dept. They make serious sh@t and have a stellar rep. At $35.00 USD it punches much higher than it's weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment