Friday, December 17, 2021

SPEAKER CABINET -TRAYNOR YCX12 ....a steal!!!!

TRAYNOR YCX12 

I just scooped a brand new single 12" closed back cab. It is designed to fit under a a small block head. It is also tuned to give you some low end thump like a half stack. My Plexi is a small block head. It is made of baltic birch plywood and uses the same black vinyl and quality grill cloth as Fender USA. There is even a steel mesh grill behind the grill cloth. The words 'over built' come to mind. The same spec with a gourmet brand label on it costs up to 3 times the price! It comes with a Celestion 70/80, the OEM Celestion speaker used in most Marshall combo's.

$335.00 USD

I have a homemade cab with a Celestion NEO Creamback ($175.00 USD) that is rated at 60 watts so it matches with my 50 watt head but it is too small to sit a 50 watt head on and it has an an open back like your average combo. According to Pete Thorn this Celestion sounds like a vintage Greenback. My idea is to have the classic Greenback sound but put in a closed back cab so you get the punch you hear from classic Brit amps yet be able to carry around a light and compact rig. I still want it to look good in so much as to have and my amp fit across the top of it proportionately. 
I can swap out my homemade cab and then sell my virtually new Celestion 70/80 & get close to $80.00.
My new rig will have cost me $440.00 USD
WEIGHT?
My head is 26lb and the cab w/ Neo Creamback is 34lb 
moved separately it is a reasonable tote. About the same
as carrying 2 guitars in their gig bags.

thefineprint
The sound with the Neo Creamback installed is tight, focused and dense.
The lows are noticeably punchy. In fact much more than expected.
At 4 feet away and off axis my levels from using the open back 
needed no increase in level. In fact the increased definition 
makes it easier to hear. My sound is immeasurably better.

I just hit a couple of chords and a riff or two and instantly had 
a WTF moment. It was like having just played thru some dream rig!
It is giving me that classic sound 
had hoped for!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cab looks nice but not a fan of the 70/80 speaker. Prefer the Egnater Tweaker cabs that used to include G12H30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get this with a G12H30 too but it costs more and with a 50 watt head you can easily blow a single V30. Keep in mind it is NOT a 2x12. I was looking for an empty cab and stumbled on this. My NEO Creamback is half the weight of any Celestion because the magnet is neodymium. Lifting the cab with one in it feels about the same as lifting a Fender bass in a hardshell case. It's bigger size allows a Marshall 50 watt head which are 29"wide. It's slightly bigger size allows you to tune it to resonate around 130Hz so you get a half stack punch. In short it will be a faux 4x12 Marshall w/ Greenbacks half stack.

    ReplyDelete