Friday, December 10, 2021

FUZZ- EARTHQUAKER DEVICES Hizumitas _NEW_ '72 Elk Sustainer alias Triangle Muff

EARTHQUAKER DEVICES HIZUMITAS FUZZ 
$150.00 USD
So back in '72 the Japanese company Elk made their version of a Muff
Triangle Fuzz. In the 60's and 70's pedals frequently modded or changed parts for reasons of the price or availability of parts. Add to that the parts manufacturers would often do the same thing. The bottom line is some pedals were good, some bad, some crap and some killer.
Wata of the Metal experimental trio Boris formed in 1982 made an old Elk Fuzz her signature sound. Earthquake were brought on board to duplicate the sound of the pedal. Yes ...she has never been able to find a back up because as I pointed out those that are 'gems' are few.
The pedal has already been used on soundtrack for an up coming movie and 
will be used soon on a new album and following tour. The Elk is a basic Big Muff Triangle, circuit but changes have given it a massive sound with much longer sustain. 
The real magic comes because the attack has excellent definition which allows for far more complex playing than other Fuzz boxes with a 'Doom' vibe.
CONCLUSION
Definition, Definition, Definition!!! I love dirt pedals with a massive aggressive sound but I have either compromised by giving some up or ran them thru an OD to tighten them up for lack of definition.

the fine print
This will take some thought. Ever since I got determined to down size 
I have bought more, lol.  
I still pulled pedals but I kept finding a pedal I bought only a month ago 
being replaced. I tend to get most of my  very best massive Metal sounds 
by stacking the right fuzz on the right OD. I just got the ENGL OD. 
Killer on things that have a heavy Marshall sound but need a nudge more. 
The problem is a sub for 2 Marshall stacks played full and being driven 
by a Fuzz, lol, lol, lol!  ....This is definitely in the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment