Thursday, December 9, 2021

A Metronome for those like me... who hate metronomes!

 ALESIS SR-16 DRUM MACHINE

Yes I know it is not a metronome. If it was I would not review it. Metronomes are intimidating. They are all about discipline and intimidation.
There isn't a rock guitarist alive that has not enjoyed jamming with a record. Well this is not any different. It is just a drummer hiding in a box who dropped by to jam.
THE SR-16 has been around since 1990 ...no that is not a typo. I think it lasted 31 years and still being made because it is like any piece of gear. Players will put up with anything except ...BAD SOUND
It not only sounds great it sounds like real drums ..not over produced drums from a top of the pile studio. Once again I must point out that has a major comfort level of familiarity.
$160.00 USD
                   or $100 used
CONCLUSION
Yes there are sexy new machines in compact boxes that do everything but play your guitar for you but they cost 3 times the price. I use mine everyday to practice. I also use it when writing my tunes. Finally I use it to rehearse and write tunes with my bass player. We only work with our drummer when a tune is rehearsed to a performance level, this avoids wasting a lot of time. Better still we can work at any hour and any place without issues with neighbors.
the fineprint
I use it through an old Fender bass amp. 
I run it flat out during the afternoons when I 
am neighbor free. Bass amps can boot out
the bass drum and produce a reasonable snare
the cymbals can cut anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment