Sunday, April 19, 2020

OVERDRIVE- BARBER ELECTRONICS Direct Drive V.4 ...3 generations of Plexi in one

$140.00 USD
 BARBER ELECTRONCS DIRECT DRIVE 
Older models divided early Plexi sounds into both a JTM 45 and a 1987x. It is not hard to note both are famous for their tone but the earlier JTM 45 had a cleaner tone and was often as not bought as a combo. I had a later one with a half stack. The best amp I ever owned.
The new Direct Drive covers 3 distinct amp sounds in one pedal. From the mid 60's up to the early 80's.
I have mentioned it many times ... a modern hot rodded Plexi pedal is a euphoric thing to play. Big BUT! Most of the night you are accompanying vocals so a pedal like this that gives you many variations of dirt that work great behind a vocal is not just wanted it is damn well needed. The key thing here is, tone, tone and tone!
This is where old Dave with decades of experience is the guy to see.


CONCLUSION
All the versions were certainly worth getting over the years but this is special. It is switchable to go from one distinct voice to another. It not only keeps the pedal easier to use but you are virtually going from one sweet spot to another with enough fine control to zero in the pedal to shake hands with both your amp and guitar.
One final nice touch is the pedal has gone back to it's first look from v.1 with the British Racing Green. Always a colour that denotes, style, good taste and yet tradition. Appropriate because that defines this pedal perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Paul,
    I'd just like to leave a comment here to express my appreciation and awe at your dedication to posting so comprehensively and regularly on your hobby (obsession more like!). I'm just beginning my electric guitar journey, whilst on lockdown in Singapore, and I have learned (and have been entertained) a great deal after having stumbled onto your blog, by way of your comment on the Relish Guitar youtube video.

    You deserve a far larger audience, but for now, I wish you best of health and keep up the excellent work!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi , I share Jim’s opinion , thanks for this great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DG. the best thing about it is that is it is international and it is dead cool to see no matter where we we come from or what culture guides our day to day life music brings us together as one family.
      Race creed and religion become invisible here. I like to say that the difference between a player in one country over the other is only the colour of his Strat. LOL I have NEVER met a guitar player anywhere that could not be my valued friend!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Jim.Everything is part of a larger plan.I get to know all the Youtubers whose video's I use. I send them traffic. I also get to know the independent pedal makers and get them interviews. Not only do they benefit in sales but some like Lawrence Petross and others I have helped turn them into celebrities.I have been working and designing guitars for 8 years. This year the first of my Lenard guitars will be on Reverb and the thousands I have made friends of will I believe find them a credible choice. These guitars will be hand made yet be less then $1000.00 USD. My aim if I can get enough volume is to sell them for $750.00 USD. The quality will be equal to guitars that sell for $2000.00 USD.I am 73 and I see it as away to make a modest living because I have no other income.I also hope to launch my 3 piece band that I have written all the tunes for. i put in a minimum of 4 hours everyday on writing, rehearsing and personal study of theory and old fashion practice.So I have a lot going on. the C19 has really slowed the progress on the guitars. A prototype was due last month but the shop is closed down.Thanks for your kind words it is truly appreciated. Best of health to you your family and friends especially in these unstable times.

    ReplyDelete