Wednesday, May 1, 2024

OVERDRIVE- THORPY FX Electric Lightning Tube Drive___NEW___ Chris Buck signature

Thorpy FX
ELECTRIC LIGHTNING Tube Drive
$640.00 USD
Yes it does. It has a tube in it. It is a Chris Buck signature
pedal. It is 110% about him. It is not like a Friedman that does Marshall tube pedals with thousands like me who love a Plexi. You can argue other things are easily as good. But 
I could never agree they are better. Add to that near zero other amps last forever. A Plexi does just that. Put a Plexi for sale at any price and you will have a line up.
The layout is Volume,Treble, mids, Bass, Gain, and Boost and a Lows Boost.
CONCLUSION___ 
No lint to pick. It is a good pedal but after the Chris Buck fans that can afford it have their's, the sales will tank. It is not like the Pete Honorés Dane pedal. 
At $390.00 USD it is not cheap but it is more 
generic and can fit many genres.
Pete's playing is very much the average modern Studio Players 
thing. He can cover anything, give it the correct style and at the 
say time it really only serves as an accompaniment. In short 
you can not tell who is playing as they do not have a
recognizable style.  

5 comments:

  1. I think Chris Buck is a great player, but I wouldn’t even pay close to this for one of the best-of-the-best. You’re right that after the couple Chris buck fans who can afford this get it, it’ll be sound on reverb for half the price. And I know it’s a hot take, but initial listening didn’t impress me that much. I think a lot of Chris’ playing is his hands. You give him any other X overdrive and I’m sure it’ll sound similar. So yeah way too much, which is unfortunate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorpy stated out as we can do it better and became a niche market. It is for guys who even if they have no money they will find it for what will be small board often as not doing a lounge or wedding gigs. For that you need pedals that stay in control and can play discreetly in the background. I did those gigs in the late 60's to pay the bills between my original material gigs. I di not even bother with pedals. Just a Fender Super Reverb played low and my volume control :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. $640…Is that a typo? I would be ashamed if I were Chris Buck. He’s an amazing guitarist and I’m a fan but that’s insane. I can buy a good AC15 for that.

    Good news is, if we can afford it, It will be traced, have pcbs made and I can build it probably under 100 and put a good nos tube in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should probably reiterate in respect to both Chris and Thorpy because Im a fan of both…but I don’t understand why the production price is so high. Chris can make anything sound good. He could’ve been playing his amp 11 there and you wouldn’t hear 550 buck difference. I’m just suprised by this it’s unlike either of them imo.

    ReplyDelete