Monday, June 17, 2024

OVERDRIVE- DemonFX Z-drive ___ NEW ___ part for part Zen Drive clone :-)

Demonfx ||| Zdrive 
$30.00 USD
This is DemonFX take on the classic Zendrive that was the 
first ever Dumble-in-a-Box pedal. A pedal that got its voicing 
from a Robben Ford record so it is cloning how the amp 
sounded after its post production changes.
There have been several clones since. The Warm Drive at 
$100 is the most recent. The layout is Volume, Gain, 
Tone and Voice. The Voice being a Bright Cap added. 
CONCLUSION ___
The company boasts of using the same parts and even 
makes a list of them. My first impression is it is certainly 
in the ballpark. I must admit I am impressed. I was 
never a fan of the original but never say, never, LOL,   
...lets not overlook the price 😏
....sorry about the video but this is the only one and it was quicker 
   writing the whole review than finding the damn thing and add 
   to that it would not load onto my site in a conventional manner. 
 
________________
the fine print 
I am convinced by listening to a half minute here and there on the video that the Zendrive and the Z-drive are at 
least 95% the same as the Zendrive. NOT having just that bit more of something to worry about. So that said 
one needs to know would going to a brand like J Rockett with their "lets add steroids'' to the pedal be preferable. 
Hence the last video of The Dude vs. the Zendrive. I do not need a more steroids pedal as I have 
Marshall-in-a-Box and an Amp-in-a box version of all the in your face classics. ____In short the Z-drive wins!!!
UPDATE: 
...it is 7/15/2024
11 days ago I ordered a Z-Drive. I spent a fortune over the last few years trying to great a really good transparent drive for my Strat sounds. I wanted my sound clean and with as much chime as a bell. The BIG BUT is I wanted some decent sustain. Yes I heard many videos of the Hermida Zen Drive and every clone on the planet. But everyone wanted to show its medium gain OD sounds. No one as in, zero showed it playing the just before breakup sound. Yes they might of spent literally seconds showing the range of the the pedal but they were in a sweat to get back to cranking it.
This damn pedal NAILS it!!! Add to that I would expect to pay 10 times its $30 price to get this sound. 
 

9 comments:

  1. This or the Mosky Tai Ji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moogoo own both brands . The Mosky is likely more versatile but if you want the original sound the highest probability should be the DemonFX as they have not tampered with the original circuit or the parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the Movall galactic groove following your recommendations. It Is a great pedal. This Is THE classic sound we heard in so many songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you think of the following brands on Aliexpress: Iset and Ginean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iset are simply re-branded Mooer pedals. Mooer have re-branded the same mini pedals for now 30 companies since 2015.
    Many of the best Mooer pedals sell under the Rowan label. In short you find the best Mooer pedal and find out who sells it the cheapest. LOL. As for the Ginean I think it is a one man brand. I can only find one pedal with that name. A DOD Carcosa Fuzz clone. I ordered one but I expect it will take at least 2 more weeks to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The secret is that they are plugged into a Dumble amplifier, and from the amp it goes to an interface with a Dumble plugin, LOL...

    Now, seriously, I've never thought about trying a Dumble style pedal until this post. It sounds really impressive on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you compared it with the Caline Mellow Drive ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the Caline. The sound was really in the right direction but in application it had a dark sound and big push in the mids that gave it a foggy near muddy kind of sound. I sold mine.

    ReplyDelete