Wednesday, July 13, 2022

OVERDRIVE- DEMON FX AT-DS ... a JHS Andy Timmons clone

DEMON FX AT-DS 
$35.00 USD
Price includes shipping
I bought the real JHS pedal when it came out. I used it for a couple of years and every time I did I kept trying to tweak the buzzy thing out of it. I gave up and pulled it off my board.
I recently saw an interview with A.T. and he said he likes it for his solos but still uses the Xotic BB Pre Amp for everything else. He had his board with him and the only new thing he actually uses is his signature Keeley Delay. 
He even still uses a V.2 Carl Martin compressor. I digress but the new budget Carl Martin Honey-Comp has the same vibe. In fact I think it is better, so if you are into a A.T. sound then check it out.
The layout has volume, tone and 'air' which is really presence. A 3 way switch controls 3 stages of headroom. Andy leaves it open to '100' which is JHS speak for full headroom. You also get a foot switchable boost.

CONCLUSION
You can hear in the Demo the 'buzz' thing I am talking about. It shows up 
worse on the clone. It gives the pedal a Fuzz plus OD sound. I use those sounds 
but by adding a Fuzz to a good MIAB pedal but I find them tiresome all the time. 
I noted that A.T. uses the Xotic BB Pre Amp as well and it is NOT buzzy. Caline 
does the Orange Burst clone of that and it gets a 9.8 for how close it comes 
to nailing the sound. it's $30.00 USD.
the fine print
I have had the Caline Orange Burst for a few weeks. 
It bumped a couple of pedals off my board. It is killer on a Strat. 
I suspect it is why A.T. still loves his Xotic PreAmp so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment