Wednesday, July 20, 2022

OVERDRIVE- SUMMER SCHOOL ELECTRONICS Gus-Drive ... 50's, 60's budget amp vibe

SUMMERSCHOOL ELECTRONICS GUS DRIVE
$150.00 USD
Mark Turley of Syrcuse NY  like most pedal builders played in local bands for years and 
was fascinated by pedals etc. What he has given us here is simple classic hard clipper OD.
Just volume and gain with the EQ fixed by him at it's sweet spot.
I the early 60's I had my first guitar a Harmony Rocket single cut semi and a National Amp. The amp was a small class A. Meaning it had a preamp tube, a power amp tube and a volume knob, lol.
Hell ...I was Rockin'!!!  My friends all had similar small tube amps. Often from the Sears Dept store. Made by Valco, Supro, National etc. Most were made in and around Chicago.
The Gus drive whether deliberately or by dumb luck captures that whole vibe. Great sound for Alternative, Blues or Americana.
CONCLUSION
Totally simple and unpretentious and it's hard not to love it.😊


No comments:

Post a Comment