Monday, November 8, 2021

CHORUS- MOSKY CE-Nano ...a Boss CE-2 clone ...impressive sound! ...more impressive price $25 !!!!

 MOSKEY CE-NANO CHORUS 

$25.00 USD
The Boss CE-2 Chorus was the first Chorus in the compact casing that every pedal since has come in.compact. They nailed a killer sound that has been arguable equaled but never better. Every year their is a new high priced clone of it. My vote for the best is Jam Pedals Waterfull at the scary price of $270.00 USD. So our question is how does this stack up.
I would say it is noticeably clearer and actually fuller sounding but other wise in the ballpark. So if you think clearer and fuller make it inferior than it is time to close this review and check another, lol. I don't see too many of you not reading on :-)
CONCLUSION
There are a lot of Chorus pedals out there that sell for around two hundred that my ears tell me are quite nice but not remotely better. I have an Ibanez that is very good indeed with it's own sound, a great sound it is too. But it is not better. If I had a Ferrari would I not take out my Porsche 911 out as often? On a dead clean sound small trifles may make 
a bit of difference but I was looking for a third chorus to use on my second channel to 
fatten a Fuzz or occasionally an OD. I think I just found one.


THE FINE PRINT
When the Boss came out in the late 70's I waited for the Ibanez. 
I was working part time at a pro shop and it was slow
so I spent the whole afternoon choosing. I picked the Ibanez. It had this slight etheral thing going on
very 'spacey' Sci Fi. That is why I have the mini reissue I added it when I sold the Strymon with all the digital modulation FX. I hated it. To me they all sounded like sonic photographs of the analog paintings. I also bought the NUX Chorus which they since slapped on a different paint job and renamed it for their new vintage pedals. I had had  the NUX before as it was so good they never discontinued it since they opened 12 years ago. 
My point is when choosing in the 70's it was like choosing between two bowls of gourmet ice cream of my to favorite flavors, lol.  
Today I did not have a 'Eureka WTF moment over the Boss or the Mosky  ...or for that matter the MXR or the 
Walrus or the Earthquaker, or any pedals talked about in hushed reverent tones. They all have a very pleasant but workman like sound but nothing unique in the basic tone.
I did get blown away by the Jam Pedals Waterfall, I could see a premium for that, Maybe not $270.00 USD . If it were $200.00 I would be tempted, lol. 
It is more etheral and Sci-Fi spacey than the Ibanez by a mile. It is a thing that is killer if you play clean but I use at least some low gain dirt with all my pedals like my  Chicago  Stompworks Blooze Maker ($75) which is very authentic sounding clone of the old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal.
Those that  know my rig know I have 3 channels. One for low gain drives, one for medium gain drives and one for high gain. They all have their own comp, delay and verb. My medium gain  channel  does not have a chorus. I would like a bit of chorus for a bit more girth. on a couple of tunes. The kind of thing with a very slow rate of sweep and a lot of depth where that rhythm of the modulation is all but disappeared. Heavy modulation sounds are for flat picking chords with a strum here and there, I certainly do not need  that for this channel. I would prefer a mini as I am down sizing and adding a full size pedal would be self defeating. I also do not want two of the same makes of pedals. Different makers always put their own touch on any pedal. I will give it some time to sink in. For now it is this pedal or pass on the idea. 

UPDATE:
Check out the Post:  ONE CONTROL Little Copper Chorus
an actual different Chorus with different tech used to
make its very different sound. 
@$150.00.00 not a crazy price 
but not a classic sound so you decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment