Monday, November 1, 2021

PEDAL BOARD ___ What happened to my new one, or is it two?


...the old board 

MY NEW PEDAL BOARD?

I am still using my old board which holds about 40 pedals and since I do not expect to seriously gig until 2022 I have another 20 pedals hooked up on the floor. You can see that it is not only large but impractical to lift as weight aside I can not get my arms around it to maneuver it. It is so heavy it has wheels.

I have already designed 2 twin boards that hold 
35 pedals and link together as one by 2 small 
patch bays each. I have obtained power 
supplies and cables to wire it up. They are 
made of black PVC plumbers pipe which is strong but light.
The fittings are Formufit parts. Furniture grade pipe one sees usually used in retail displays tables etc. Door stop wood 1  1/4" by 3/8" can be used as slats to cradle the pedals. Strong, rigid and reasonably light 3/8" plywood is it's base.


The I've cut some of the pipe & left them in a kit form like an unboxed Ikea product waiting to be assembled, lol. 
There will be 3 tiers with room under the third and second
for another row of a pedals that are always on or only need access to the footswitch. The slats will be attached together on either end and hinged to lift for access. The first tier will actually be the plywood at the rear will be attached the power supplies.
The board on the floor will have my switcher. the other will be on a stand for easier access to the pedals knobs. Gates, reverbs, and delays need changes. Dirt pedals are left fixed to one sound.
I will take pics and do DIY Post. I have built PVC things before in apartments on the living room floor without more than cheap hand tools and a used drill from a thrift store. Yes and with zero complaints from neighbors.

The pedals below should finalize the collection.
The total will be 66. I may yet swap out or add
a mini pedal but until the board is done estimating
 
what more will fit is not realistic as you can find the jack protruding from one pedal interfering with the it snugging up with the one beside it. Every eighth of an inch between pedals adds up.

the fine print
WTF!
The hold ups.
I need to set up an area and even build a work table when at the moment I have zero space left in my small basement. 
The board is in effect like a high rise building using steel girders. There are dozens of cuts. Some pipes give the board shape but others are needed for reinforcement for weight and for rigidity. I spent several hours a day using the traditional saw which requires literally a hundred motions of your arm and shoulder for one cut. There seems there is a better way.
The problem is that all measuring and cuts must be dead accurate or the the whole thing will literally be a twisted mess. Keep in mind that such accuracy is negligible when used for plumbing as everything is buried under floors and behind walls. This does not encourage tool manufacturers to make precise cutting tools. Apparently the quickest pro way to work used by most plumbers are shears. There are dozen of makers and none are perfect and many even big names make crap. Most of the YouTube vids are either infomercials or bull shit experts reading a script. Fortunately one guy was a plumber who owns several brands all in several price ranges who did a real world off the cuff of each one. Three of which he still uses. I choose the one he thought was 3rd best as he said he could get along with that one. The other 2 he liked because time is money and even a bit better ease of cutting is worth the extra if you do it every day.  
The LENOX 12123 R1 Cutter for $50.00 USD seemed the best value for money.

PVC pipe is dirt cheap and light as feather and incredibly strong. You can make amp stands, speaker stands or keyboard stands. If designed right the upward supports do not need to be glued in, just a press fit works fine. In short they can be taken apart in seconds and you do not have any moving parts to screw up on you. I intend to use one I don't need as the base for my work table. I like that they are portable weightless and and a custom fit. When done I can hang it from the rafters and push the wood top flat behinds storage boxes.




THEN THERE IS AN SPEAKER THING GOING ON

TRAYNOR CUSTOM VALVE 60
A very well made single 12" tuned speaker cab with high end spec using plywood w/Celestion V30 60 watt speaker. Not the usual butt end box made of MDF 
with the budget entry level speaker.  At  $285.00 USD you can not even buy a DIY kit which does not come with a speaker. It has the same grade of grill cloth and vinyl you get on a USA made Fender. Add to that it was designed to fit a 'small box' head which is a perfect match for my amp.
Traynor a Canadian manufacture has been in biz since the early 60's. They have a rep of quality build aimed at the working player. With a big brand 's name on the cab the same thing can be as much as triple the price.

I want a closed back cab so I get a bit of that Marshall cab 'thump' it will give my 50 watt Plexi. 
I have a home made open back pine cab with a Celestion NEO Creamback which are designed to sound like a vintage Greenback 25 watt but these are 60 watt and half the weight. I will swap the speakers and should get about $100 so I will only be out the price of a good pedal.
TAKE A STAND
I decided I wanted my rig a bit more off the floor and no one makes flat amp stands. I found the Grip Brand Work Platform. It hold 350lb. so it is damn sturdy, yet it strikes down fast and is only about 6lb. The amp plus cab are about 24"h. x 24"w. and the stand is 19"w. x 12". deep. The legs spread out to 24" so they do not stick out past the cab. The it stands 12.5" so it is reasonable height. The industrial look is cool. $45.00  USD

the fine print
...so I ordered the cab though it is out of stock , I can wait 
...it is an upgrade not a gotta-have. I got a refund  on
an amp stand I won't need. I  also just sold 2 pedals 
I am not using. In short it's paid for without 
a penny of new funds. Hallelujah!!!   
Hell if I want I can keep my other cab. :-] 
I picked up the stand just minutes drive from my house.
Saved me shipping and a lot of hassle.


2 comments:

  1. I bought that mosky several months back and its pretty good. Is the other part an mxr distortion? The DOD is better on the mosky. Good price

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct sir. The DOD 250 is definitely better. Add to that Mosky uses the same OpAmp because it is still made and very cheap. These OpAmps distort and the consumer audio market can not use them. They are more the kind used in a childs toy dog to make it bark or to amp up a smoke alarm. The other voice is an MXR Distortion+ The voice in the middle is the OpAmp on it's own bypassing the clipping diodes. It is only the DOD 250 voice that interests me.
    Since the OpAmp is identical in both and if the clipping diodes are the same value than it will be the same. Keep in mind that the parts available to make pedals can be as much as 20% out.So this means if you put a real Dod 250 and listen carefully it may sound a little different. The big but is put a second Dod 250 beside both and all 3 sound different,LOL.That happens even if the parts all come out of the same box from the same manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete