Tuesday, November 9, 2021

DID THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF MUSIC ACTUALLY EXIST ???

 WTF !!! MUSIC WAS BETTER IN THE PAST!!!

At 74 you know, I was 'there'. Like all young players I was cynical of a lot of the junk that was on the radio. So straight up I was blown away by what music was actually selling at the top of the heap. Sure down below this '20 top sellers' listed below was I'm sure lots of one hit wonders. The thing is there are always 20 brilliant bands. Yes even at this moment. The BIG BUT is they are not offered to the masses. By that I mean the recording industry neither supports or promotes them. The average everyday consumer in any era primarily consumes from information they can not escape.The biggest selling soft drink has always been Coca Cola. They also spend 10 times the money to promote it.
On the other hand modern tech has made music virtually free. You can download for a few dollars what would cost on vinyl records a few hundred dollars. A band that sells the downloaded equivalent of one million records today makes about $1500.00. That's $375.00 each in a 4 piece band. Not enough to live on let alone pay for the gear needed or even transportation to a gig. Add to that the time to write rehearse etc. To get it all done means that they are working for 6 cents an hour at best.

I always saw myself as an artist since I was 20 when I stopped worshiping other bands and wrote my own tunes. 
Even now I rehearse with my band 4 days a week for 4 hours a day. I spend 2 or 3 hours every day on music theory and writing. I expect to perform in 2022. It will cost me more to play than I will make. in short I will play for free. Like any artist I am 100% self absorbed by my art form. I have long since gone past any self pity. I am going to do this until I am dead. As for those that think if I was any good I would be a financial success etc, etc ...they can go f-ck themselves, lol  
There will always be the 'artists'. There will be another short period time when they part of the public's conscious. 
It will dwindle but it will happen again decades later. It always does. 
In the meantime 6 cents an hour will have to do, lol.
CIRCUS TOP 20
The chart below from a Pop culture magazine of the 70's shows what was being listen to over one typical month in 1972 ,1973 era. The artist played, wrote, performed and recorded all their own music. Compare that today's manufactured music when an equivalent chart can show 20 recordings where the performer does not even choose their own wardrobe. 
the fine print 
Well for both the listener the player and the music biz in general
there truly were the 'good ol' days"

No comments:

Post a Comment