Saturday, November 7, 2020

OVERDRIVE- McGREGOR PEDALS Crunch Plus ...not a low gain BUT a medium gain transparent pedal ...dead cool!

$210.00 USD

 McGREGOR PEDALS CRUNCH PLUS 
From Canada in Vancouver BC comes the unusual. A medium gain Crunch pedal that is quite transparent!
The company was formed with a mission by Garth Heslip to create a truly  transparent pedal. Of course Bill Finnegan thought that and we got the Klon. I have never been a Klon fan as to me it does not have a tube amp vibe. Sure it does it's 'thing' but to me it has a nasty synthetic sound.
The first pedal was the Crunch which has a lower gain and I will get around to reviewing that in the near future. But the 'Plus' amazes me because it is both transparent but with a seriously great medium gain sound.
The layout is volume, gain and tone. The tone is a mid control
that gently push up the mids and sweeped towards the upper mids as you move it clockwise. It allows you to find a sweet spot that matches your rig. You can access through a hole on the side a trim pot to set the highs that keeps the sound bright but never 
harsh or spiky.
CONCLUSION
Impressive. It can be used across most genres. In many cover bands it could cover almost any style you put through at it.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks Paul! Feel free to reach out to me via my website! Also, the trimpot on the side doesn't affect tone at all. It controls the brightness of the LED. I put it in an early prototype after playing a daytime outdoor show when I couldn't see the LED. Now for daytime shows I just crank up the LED! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ruthlessly honest so when I say a pedal is dead cool it is! Well done Garth take a well deserved bow!

    ReplyDelete