Saturday, August 31, 2019

Overdrive -TL PEDALS RAT ...a classic rises out of the dust like a Phoenix

 TL PEDALS RAT OD 
$130.00 USD
I came onto TL by accident. I reviewed the just released Greer Guerrilla Warfare II and since it supposed to be the new improved Rat pedal complete with a Motorola LM 308 opamp chip I wanted to see what they had improved. 
Squat!!! the original Rat blew the sucker right out of the water.
I was so impressed by the Original Rat I decided to see what I could get one for F.ing OUCH!!!! 

I then went looking for a better clone. There was the Sooth Sayer, Wrath, Retro-Sonic Distortion, Alphs Dog, Rattler+ Ironhorse etc. They all had one thing in common they took the torn denim jeans sound of the Rat and turned it into satin tuxedo trousers.
They had a philosophy of improving a dirt pedal by removing the dirt ...some washed it out others dry cleaned it. LOL

While looking at one I new about Vermin ( which by the way sounds like a gutless Chinese clone)...a video caught my eye off to the side of my screen.

CONCLUSION
The LM has a bit more headroom and tad more punch and balz!!!
None of that rip your face off Rat sound is weakened or lost. Damn NICE!!!
Tim took a sound that is in your face then pushed it  right thru the back wall of the club.!!!
There are guys out there making pedals based off other pedals and thanks to high profile marketing can sell us crap. Not hand made ...not well made and are at best mediocre. Then there are honest guys like Tim busting his butt to make us great pedals. Hell the guy is giving away the pedal at this price!!!
I've said it before if you do not get behind guys like Tim we will loose them.
Do yourself a favour and check out the LM Pedals. There are more coming up right here 
over September so check back in.
Like a lot of makers you can get LM Pedals on Reverb.

So I have this on my short list ...in fact at the top of it!
Give Tim a month to get a batch ready as he has to fill the orders he's got.
BUT when I give you the shout out you better move because there are
now 219,343 other guys that will be tuning in for there pedal fix.

The last time I did this was with Pedro Garcia at Ananashead with the Super Fuzz and one months orders were gone in only 3 minutes. I am not kidding 3 minutes. Hey you can't make this sh@t up!
It went like this...I got an E saying the pedals were ready. I stopped reading my mail and the went on my blog . I posted the news. I went back to my mail. He had sent another letter.
"What did you do??? I am sold out. Please take down the Post."  :-)

HANDS ON
Monday Oct.14  at 11 am I got a knock on my door. It was my RAT being delivered!!! It must be special delivery because today is a holiday??
So I played with it all day! It was exactly as it appears a super well made pedal with the original Rat sound NAILED!!! The only surprise was it has an endless sustain. I have 23 other dirt pedals and non are close to the sustain of this.
a great pedal to have ...on its own or stacked there are dozens of times it can be perfect.
BULLET PROOF PURCHASE!!!

DEC. 2019
Check out the new look RAT. Same old perfect Rat pedal but
in a great to box!!!


7 comments:

  1. Let me know when yours arrives Paul!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it arrived safely and that you're happy with it Paul!
      Tim

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul! I really like your various reviewd and news about dirt pedal... Bought some pedals on your recommendation (cali76, selah scarlett Plexi mode...), finally satisfied and right on the board!
    Lastly I'm looking for the most raging, angriest, explosive rat as possible for my last gain stage (third).
    A rat that sounds like the roar of a fire breathing monster from the mountains!
    A rat that is not overly compressed (and smooth) but with still enough sustain for big bends and huge melodic lines with enough mids for fender style guitar.
    What would you recommend?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have new enclosures for my Woodcutter RAT Replica.
      Same circuit as Paul reviewed.
      Tim

      Delete
    2. The most extreme Rat style pedal is the Ion Horse v2. It has been the favourite of a lot of Metal players over the years. It is indeed a good pedal. My problem with it is it is no longer recognizable as real Rat. If I want the sound of a metal pedal I have two good ones already one more traditional and modern one. The TL for me is it!!! It truly sounds like the original. It does has more clarity and detail. At first I was not sure I did not want the slightly hazy nuddy sound of the original but in my power trio my TL cuts beautifully keeping out of the bass players way ...and I use full bass on my Rat without any problem.I was tending to only use it stacked but only 2 days ago I forgot to stack it and I almost sh@t at how much great tone it has. No more stacking!!! Keep in mind in the days of the original had a spec for the parts that was as high as plus or minus 20%. So every Rat was different. You got anything from great to crap. LOL The TL uses the original chip but the parts are the proper spec. Everyone of the pedals delivers a great sound.That is why I find the pedal so cheap.You getaBMW for the price of a Chev! lol So buy the TL and a TC Electronics Fangs metal pedal it is only 60.00 USD and you get the best of both worlds!

      Delete
  3. While I'm here I really have to thank Tim for my Rat. It just plain KILLER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Paul!
      You're a super decent guy and my #1 new friend of 2019!
      Tim

      Delete