Saturday, August 17, 2019

OVERDRIVE-ORIGIN EFFECTS Revival Drive Compact ...the quality of the tone is peerless !!!

ORIGIN EFFECTS REVIVAL DRIVE COMPACT 
Origin set out with the full size OD to put in everything that
creates the sound of an actual tube amp in a box that gave you access to every parameter.
In an ordinary OD pedal you are given usually one
voice that can be tweakable but not recreated a voice from scratch.
BUT ...it made the pedal damn hard to program.
It also made it $650.00 USD. OUCH!!!!

The new compact has simplified the controls. They
have in essence given you a basic Fender amp and Marshall
with controls to turn it into which you want a Plexi?
a JCM 800 a Fender Deluxe a tweed??? Or one of the many gourmet amps based from one or the other. Creating an amp that doesn't exist  ...which you can with the big pedal holds little fascination with most players The expense of a long learning curve a  long routine to go to another sound is at the bottom of 
their priority list.










CONCLUSION
The quality of the tone is peerless!!!
One often needs 2 OD's in a song crunch and lead.With a budget of say $225.00 USD a pedal you can find two very good OD's The Origin is nearly double for one.
It does it's thing really well but it's #1 thing is to clone classic amps. It is not meant to be the 'shred' channel from a 3 channel gourmet amp.
In short if like me you love a bit of total overkill you may want a pedal meant to give it to you.
I am sure if you like a very specific Blue's sound. Fusion sound or a great low gain this ain't it.

Do I think it is worth it ???
Yes !!! I am sure I will eventually get one. No kidding I am seriously worried I will need at least two. I always use at least 2 in most tunes. One for the verse & a second for the chorus or one for vocal accompaniment and another for anything strictly instrumental etc.


FINAL NOTE
Is this the very best OD on the planet ???
Well you may find another you personally like better for your personal taste and style of music. Nothing wrong with that.
BUT ...If anyone who asked me "Is this the best?"
I would have to say YES!!!

4 comments:

  1. Since you have a lot of experience in these things...i am wondering if the state of the tech is finally there to go (tube) ampless without being disappointed? Totally get you on the point about "sound vs feel" and many digital modelers mimic the sound but ignore the feel of a good tube amp.

    I was thinking of running an all-analog pedal-based setup, such as guitar > Surprise Soundlabs HOV (or a JHS Morning Glory v4) > Origin Revival Drive > Tech21 Q/Strip > Digitech CabDryVR > DI/linear response hifi power amp and speaker (such as the Alto TS312). Wondering if you think that would work or what you would do differently?

    Love my Rivera Chubster 40, but...40 watts isn't very different than 100watts in my experience. Even my Gibson GA-5 can blast me out of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think anything is going all of any one thing. Nothing in any tech for anything is doing that either. It will be all about the best solution for the player. With pure tech like modeling it gets better and cheaper every year. Xtone have a cheap little box that you hook to a tablet or even an iphone. It is the poor man's Axe Effects.In a club with a band playing if the guy had one you would be fooled. Of course it is not sonically there but amateur. In 10 years this kind of thing that is state of the art will be common for just 2 or 3 hundred dollars. At the same time there will be a backlash many in the public that want a real band with real equipment and live recordings. Digital is like movie film that takes hundreds of pictures and runs them fast across your eyes but you still know it is not real. Digital is quite literally sound pictures.
    a major part of a great sound is an all tube amp played with at least 20 watts cranked because you need the sound fed back thru your pick ups to get feedback for controlled sustain etc.There are a few fairly big names being FORCED to go all direct and hate it for this one and only reason.I tried everything and a year ago I went back to a 50 watt Plexi with a power attenuator for my volume control. Perfect!!! Your 40 watts is perfect you merely need enough volume to keep up with a loud drummer and you have it.One either mics the whole backline or only vocals. So smart choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have learned I can can plenty of volume for feedback with even a 5 watt tube amp on a chair or tilted up and still have a low stage volume (just mic the amp and the drummer behaves). But I was thinking if I can get that same behavior out of the Revival Drive and a cab simulator going through a full range speaker, so speaker controls volume instead of an attenuator.

    What attenuator do you use? Have you found it shortens tube life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 73 ...I have been more bands then I even care to count. I stick by my 50watt minimum idea. but you could
    try buying a shot gun and attach to a mic stand and aim it at your drummer. Just tell the guy it is a Percusion antinuator.
    thanks for the heads up though Ozob.

    ReplyDelete