Sunday, August 5, 2018

OVERDRIVE- WILSON Sparkling Blue...the original Marshall Gov'nor tweaked to PERFECTION!!!

 WILSON SPARKLING BLUE OD 
$150.00 USD

The Marshall Gov'nor has been the basis for a hundred pedals.
Some are still hot. Like the JHS Angry Charlie and the  M. I. Audio Crunch Box. It was in fact inspired by a lot of Fuzz boxes from the late 60's thru all the 70's.
Wilson have nailed the raw guts sound of the Gov'nor while others have refined it into something else.
But left with all it's nasty gut ripping vigour is to my mind something worth having even if like me you own the modern upstarts. lol
The final bonus to this pedal  is the price!!!



Go to 4:00 on the video and just listen for a minute 
...then give the whole pedal a listen.



This is a good video of the original Marshall Gov'nor
I can not hear a serious difference between this
and the Wilson. They are unlikely using the same guitar or amp on both pedals.
So shades of grey will most certainly be there.
As I pointed out above... it is a damn fine OD for the money. I am sure there are a few OD in it's price range that are as good 
...though in their own way.  
But Better??? 



Aug 28/18
This is one of those pedals that haunts me.

First a little purposeful digression.

I have spent months working on a design for a smaller and lighter pedalboard.
After the many usual dead ends I came up with one that is 30" x 21" and holds 
about 35 pedals, (It is made of light but strong PVC pipe.)
My present one is 36"x 30" and it holds 30 pedals. It weighs 60 LB.
the new one will be much closer to half that. So you get the point.
I ran into a minor problem. I have 60 pedals. LOL

Solution 'Twin' pedalboards. LOL The second will basically be all OD's. 
Nuts???
Yes! 
Do I care? 
NO!!!
Anyhow...they link with two small patch bays so I can control everything from my 
Boss ES-5. on board one.

 I call it ...T.D. Dee ....yes you guessed right !!!
Board two is ...T.D. DUMB.
 I would have called it DUM but being all OD's 
I thought you would find DUMB more honest.

So  with what I have on order and some pedals that I had no room for but couldn't part with
and ....and ...and
Short story.... I will most certainly end up with 70 pedals. LOL
Trust me ...every single one will be used in at least one song LIVE!!!

OK ...back too the Guv'nor
I have not ordered it as I should in good sense wait until the TWIN BOARDS are built 
and up and running.

But
This is one of those pedals that haunts me.




No comments:

Post a Comment