Monday, June 26, 2023

OVERDRIVE- MOSKY AUDIO King Rat ___ NEW ___ repackaged or redesigned?

MOSKY AUDIO
KING RAT
$50.00 USD
AliExpress  ...price
includes shipping
Mosky started with a mini Rat then a bigger model and now if nothing we get a gourmet look to the newest one. Mosky have several in this line of pedals but there are not any videos yet.
You get all the various ProCo Rat versions on a switch. Dirty, Vintage, Turbo and Fat. Then you get gain and tone even if they call it filter and have the knob wired backwards.
I have had a few and zero sound like the Rat II which is the one on 99% of all recordings. One based off the Big Box first Rat are not on many records, just on collectors selves.
CONCLUSION
A Rat is in the family of what are called a hardclipper OD. If we judge the Mosky not as a Rat but just as a hardclipper it is killer. 
It has massive sounds with lots of balz and tear your face off bite. If I had one I would most certainly use it, but ...I would not retire my Rat II either.


3 comments:

  1. I trust your ear but when JHS copy states "Let me take a moment here to clarify: the V1 and V2 models are the exact same circuit, and simple adjustments to the Tone/Filter control can achieve identical sounds from each unit." Do you think all RATs are cloneing V1 and V2 isn't captured so you if you want the RAT sound on "99% of all recordings" you need the actual RAT II. I have the JOYO Splinter so just looking for clarification and have no horse in this race besides being some guy on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the the Rat II in its lower settings not it's high gain Fuzz like settings. When I do that it has a vibe and some personality to the tone that nothing less than the identical parts including who made each part gives it that thing. It's thing is gone when you push it into Fuzz territory. In fact most Rat clones cover those sounds just fine. . When I want that kind of sound I stack a Fuzz on my Rat II but I do not touch the quirky thing a real ProCo Ratt II has. To me the new Mosky is very close to your Joyo enough so If I thought I needed that I would buy the Mosky because it's cheaper. Actually as I noted if you look at them as a hardclipper OD most Rat clones are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really appreciate the reply, can I ask what on the watch dial you put your settings? As a Metal guy, I'm sure it's not my tone but respect your ear so would love to try it out even with my Joyo knockoff.

    ReplyDelete