Thursday, April 29, 2021

OVERDRIVE- DOLAMO D9 MK IV DISTORTION ...a better Boss DS-1 ?

 DOLAMO D9 MK IV DISTORTION
$23.00 USD
I have no idea what this is truly based on. Going by the sound it is a hard clipper that started life as a Boss DS-1 schematic but it is fatter than the Boss and it does not have the annoying Boss fizzy fuzzy. I think they kept experimenting with clipping diodes and trading out the OpAmp until it got an acceptable sound. Well maybe it is an unacceptable sound but that can be good too.
Having a volume. tone and volume is the OD basics but the presence is unusual. It acts like a bright switch on an amp to give the pedal a bit of bite very useful on HB PU's.
The graphics have a great vintage vibe. The pedal looks bigger than it is. It is like a standard Hammond B box but with about 3/4 of an inch chopped off the top.
CONCLUSION
It has a nice airy yet assertive sound. It does not to try and tear your face off and has a lot of breadth. It is very good medium gain OD.

1 comment:

  1. Haha... I just bought a DS-1... thankfully you did not say... just get one, I did.
    You Reviews are getting too expensive for me... I can't ever afford to eat McD with the savings I am making... and spending ��

    ReplyDelete