Monday, April 5, 2021

OVERDRIVE- AMT ELECTRONICS Legends Amps S2 ...Soldano SLO 100 amp-in-a-Box ...Punch!!!

 AMT ELECTRONICS LEGEND AMPS S2 
$150.00 USD
One of many amp-in-a-box pedals. My only beef is they came out a few years back when putting in a circuit with a faux analog cab sim to record direct was appealing for home recording. The price of modellers has made this idea pointless. I am an analog guy and a pedal, amp and mic are my preference for recording. For direct recording I can not argue that modeling is better. In short my beef is really this part of the pedal pushes up the price for something I will not use. I did buy the Legend R2 ...a Mesa Dual Rectifier pedal which is the same thing but it was on sale. It also has a lot of Marshall left in it's sound. Marshall is for me like a lot of players my comfort zone. Soldano is an acquired taste.
The pedal is as simple to use once you learn to ignore half the knobs and jacks.
CONCLUSION
It has a real PUNCH with it's beefy balzy and tight sound
but you can get the Master Effects X88R that to my ears 
has more of an earthy open sound with very authentic sag 
on it's attack. 
I spent some time listening to the real amp. 
The real amp has a bit more lows than the X88R but otherwise
it is scary close. The S2 is quite a bit grittier than the real amp
but definitely has the punchy lows. 
It is a handmade and you pay for that ...$200.00 USD
Both are killer. It is a trade off.
AMT do a mini pedal the S-drive @ $65.00 USD. I have
one and love it. lol it is not quite as fat as the S2 but it is 
still really tight and balzy.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Paul

    I would like to buy a pedal that nails the sound of a JCM800 amp. Which ones would you advise me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two the PedalPalFX Pal 800 Emulator. The pedal use the schematic of the amp exchanging the tubes for transistors.they actually 'tune' the pedal to match the sound of the real amp in the room by ear until you can not tell.A lot of guys really want the JCM800 they hear on records which have the 'Jose Mod'which give the amp a lot more gain. LPD Pedals Eighty 7 does a killer version. They also do the DeLuxe with 2 of these pedals in the same box. it acts like a 2 channel amp. One for lead another for rhythm. My best guess is the LPD is what you really want. It is beyond killer for capturing the sound you hear on the hundreds that made you want that sound in the first place.I have owned both since they came out. both are 'keepers' You will never outgrow them!!!

    ReplyDelete