VALETON GP-5 vs. TONEX One
Readers will know I have always been a Tube Amp and Pedalboard player. At 80 I have finally given in to a Tube Pre with a digital amp for portability but kept my Marshall Plexi for special gigs etc.All that said with any rig one needs a back up for emergencies or even to have a Tube amp or Pre serviced.I have only just ordered the Valeton. I really only need one single good sound as I have always used a Marshall with just one channel. One sound with a Marshall set to a light Crunch. No Verb or Delay and certainly no effects.
CONCLUSION
If you are simply substituting an amp and pedals
I feel the $70 Valeton will do the job. If however youare backing up a full featured Modeler or big money
facsimile than $150 Tonex may seem to have the edge.
...what makes choosing hard isthere are no bad choices.
________________________________________________________________
MAKE YOUR NOWN NAM AMPS? DIY for dummies?Keep in mind the Royer mic in the video is pricy at about $1600.00 USD
but the Shure SM57 is about is $110.00 USD.Good results can happen with just a Shure. Hundreds of famous players
have insisted to only use a 57 when they made there famous recordings.
Or use a budget ribbon mic or Omni's that can sub for the Royer.
If you just do the head you can simply go direct.
Of course if it just need to get your own amps you can rent or borrow.
______________________________________________________________
MAKE YOUR OWN SERIOUS VALETON GP-5 PRESETSA deep dive into making your own presets by knowing the basic roots of modifying
that can be a bit time consuming ...but not confusing or frustrating.
.jpg)
%20(1)%20(1).jpg)
Happy 80th Paul for whenever it was... and thanks for this legendary, fun and inspirational site we all love refreshing daily :) All the best, Troy.
ReplyDeleteTHANX Troy. I figure I can handle one finger typing on my laptop even if they one day stick me in some hospital bed on, LOL.
DeleteScrew that. I take another amp as backup. Just sayin
ReplyDeleteI only just stopped that. I always took my 1983 Peavey Bandit along as a back up. Oddly the same amp that Kirk Hammett used on records to double his Marshall parts for more balz. My problem at 80 is I can still lift and move my heavy half stack and all but... Big But if I bang my arm or whatever I can not just shrug it off because it takes about 3 weeks to heal. If you can do it ...do it. I'm on your side!!! I was mostly my own roadie for literally 60 years!!!
DeleteWould the GP-5 be good for the effects alone.... chorus, delay, detune and so on? I use a pedal board with a DemonFX King of Drive and a Caline Pure Sky which is all the dirt I need. I have individual effects pedals such as chorus, delay, phaser that I do use but rarely combine and the GP-5 might be a good way to make my board smaller. Happy birthday!
ReplyDelete