Wednesday, September 1, 2021

LITTLE TREASURES (1)











 LITTLE TREASURES  

NUX METAL CORE v.1
This little gem showed up and I will get right to the point.
It does a killer take on the Mesa Dual Rectifier. It has recently not just been discontinued for the inferior v.2 the price if you can find one is down to $45.00 USD and on Aliexpress that was with free shipping!  I compared it with a video with a demo of v1 and v2 of the actual amp it scary close.

THE FINE PRINT
I soon found that any tunes that needed a Modern Metal 
sound ...that this stepped in to nail what was needed. 
Having tried many over the top Metal OD's and Metal Fuzz
pedals which did not work well I was surprised because
I really thought I needed more grit than a Dual Rectifier. 
Wrong!

CALINE EMERALD NIGHT OD
I will get to the point. A Tube Screamer. Another? Not quite.
Well, simple, It does a clone of a ts9, a ts808 and a ts 
with a Keeley mod. I heard it side by each with a ts9. 
All I could say was ..."WTF!!!" 
If it just did the ts9 it would be a steal!!!
At $29.00 USD it is a steal.

THE FINE PRINT
OK ...it arrived!
I tried it every which way & all the voices are usable.
Best was with the gain off & used as a boost 
courtesy of SRV's published settings.
Stacked, It gave any of my OD's a killer sustain :-)

OKKO DOMINATOR II
It all stred 15 years ago with the idea of creating the
ultimate Hot Rodded Marshall-in-a-Box. It morphed much past that and it's popularity dropped as Metal became divided in to more and more genres each with its own specifically defined sound and gear. I think new players are attracted to many genres from Doom to Djent and have found they are using several in just a single tune.
This pedal gives you the vibe of a Marshall stack and
with a bit of Doom Fuzz to add as needed.

THE FINE PRINT
OK ...It arrived!
I find it is a lot more Marshall than Doom. It certainly 
lives up to having one 'fat' fat sound. It also has the 
best sustain of any of my OD's
I then went crazy and stacked the Caline Emerald Night
Tube Screamer on it. Then stacked both on the LPD 87
a JCM 800. The results amazed me. HUGE sound
killer sustain and the biggest surprise is it still sounds
like a Marshall Stack!

OCCVLT PEDALS TOMB GRINDER
The right Fuzz ???
This company has a big Stoner and Doom Fuzz pedals
following. Massive sounding pedals which I like, but not nimble, that's for sure.
The 'Tomb' has that Super fuzz /Hyper fuzz faux sub octave growl but is really an addition to a serious Big Muff Rams Head which is a serious Fuzz to solo on. It should do well on really high tempo Prog Metal tunes. My problem solved?
WTF ...I ordered one!

THE FINE PRINT
I mentioned in my 'Metal Core' epistle that my Modern 
Metal sound was cured by the NUX Metal Core v.1. 
So my creative idea of using the Tomb Grinder is a non 
starter. So, you ask. Will I dump it or what???
Well I have a few tunes where I am using a Fuzz and or 
a Fuzz stacked on a Rat for some punchy gritty tunes. 
The problem is my rig is set up to use each pedal with a 
single setting. If I solo I go to a specific pedal to solo.
I do not have one for this thing where a tune uses 2 Fuzz
 pedals for every bit of the tune but a solo. Thanx to the 
gods the 'Tomb' box has come to the rescue. 
Lots of balz, punch yet definition if I start playing triplets
 ...in short 3 times the speed of the tempo or 16 notes 
for every bar played. I just got it and after a damn lot 
of fiddle found 'the'killer sweet spot. Heaven!!!


NUX DCO-3 ANALOG DELAY
This is from the NUX vintage line. It is a clone of the old Ibanez AD-80. It even uses the same Panasonic 3102 & 3205 BBD chips. The big deal with analog delays is they lay behind your guitar signal as easy as a spring reverb in a Fender amp. They do not fight the guitar signal. Guys like Steve Vai still use them.
I use both sometimes even stacking the digital on the Analog.
After weeks of research and comparison I found if I spent enough money to make a difference in delay times and features it would be over 4 times more. 
The price? $60.00 US

THE FINE PRINT
OK...it arrived. What really blew me out of the water
is everything I said about it is more than true, lol.
It does not 'just' a have a retro vibe. In a blindfold test
with a couple of great old analog delays if you had to 
pick which pedal was NOT a real vintage analog than 
I am warning  you not to bet you can. 

ELECTRO HARMONIX SYNTH 9
The band is working on all the vocals doing tweaking and rewrites to make it all gel. We came to an old tune
where the intro has the kind of hook that is obnoxiously catchy. The chorus has a Bach Cantata vibe complete with what sounds like a pipe organ using an E-H POG. But, in spite of a stellar bass part ...the verse was feeble. I had a few ideas for future tunes and with very little effort we tailored one and had a really good new verse. 
Oddly enough I had bought the Synth 4 years ago, and it was still in the box, lol.  It was meant for a mid 8 for this very song, that I never got happening. But damned if I didn't spontaneously come up with a grandiose part to fit the old verse with the great bass line.
The Synth 9 is a box with 9 different 70's & 80's synths. They simply took the hot patches everyone used on records. One is the 1973 ARP Solina String Ensemble, a faux Mellotron thing. Very theatrical behind vocals. A lot of guys are using a guitar, delay and ambient reverb combination to get a very similar vibe. I thru on a delay and a Cathedral sound from my verb and got the same deal. I of course had a synth voice instead of a guitar and got a massive sound in comparison

KEELEY COMPRESSOR MINI
A Compressor+ with a 'smart' program that sets up the input to match the signal for HB or single coils etc. and matches the blend and tone keeping it true to the guitar when off. 
It works great with  Low gain OD's. I like my Fender PU's really chimey but that means less saturation and loss of sustain without a comp to substitute for the loss. The white one is a Ltd. Ed. with only 500 available worldwide.

THE FINE PRINT
So I ordered one. On my new board I am adding a 4th
channel to put my  Synth and the more 'special FX'
things. It will leave my clean channel without a comp.
I had it down to a Origin a BESCO or a second Keeley Comp+
Two are stupid pricey and who wants 2 of the same thing.
This is the perfect compromise.Yes I ordered one, the white one
I do not like it better but in the future if I want to sell it
I will get a better price or if not it will at least sell faster.
So I got it yesterday. I am not disappointed ... I even
tried it on dirt pedals that I previously did not compress
with great results.


GFI SKYLAR REVERB
The serious ambient music guys all have their GFI Specular Tempus but like all these kind of pedals they are pricey. In the real world if you do cover tunes or even if you do write your own music they have a very limited use in the clubs. Yes there are budget pedals but these kind of verbs need a lot of horsepower to pull off most of the complex algorithms that make the voices. GFI have put their 'best of' in the Skylar. At $200.00 USD.
you certainly get good value for money.

NUX PLEXI CRUNCH
Followers will know I have added a lot of new pedals 
over the last few months. I am getting close to even replacing things that were in practice a 9.5  with a 10 ...or in too many cases only tried too. lol.
A lot of pedals were played, judged and put on Reverb for sale. Many already sold. The problem is getting down to 70 pedals. I am at 73. Being cheap I thought
this NUX would go.  BIG GIANT BUT!!!. Put this little
SOB on a vintage Strat or Tele PU and you get 
a sound to die for. Fat and balzy yet the Fender 
chime comes through like you are playing a Deluxe Reverb. 
At $45.00 USD ...WTF,  ...and maybe? ...a cheap ride to heaven

THE FINE PRINT
The first thing you find out in a hurry is has more, or even
too much of everything, more gain, bass and  highs then
you would ever use.
For example the  bass on full at a high volume could blow 
the cones out of your speakers, lol. You can get all you need
of anything just plus and minus the knobs at 12 o'clock
It has nailed  'that' modern Metal sound. Sure if you were only
doing a modern Metal thing on all your tunes you may want
something more up market like the Aura Amps Diamond Pre
Keep in mind I said 'want' as this is arguably all you need.

AURA AMPS DIAMOND PREAMP & WHITE SUGAR
Not to get too deep into it i just reviewed the Diamond
which is a total scary take on a MESA Dual Rectifier and soon I will do the 'White' which is both a Plexi and a JCM 800 in one box. 



It will be a big first as I will actually get to play the pedal before I review it. I am nervous just thinking about it. 
Many of you know I already have 9 Marshall-in-a-Box pedals and they go thru a Plexi set at just shy of clean.
WTF one more won't hurt, LOL.


[]  []  []  []  []  [] 


S

No comments:

Post a Comment