Monday, December 25, 2017

OVERDRIVE- CUSTOM TONES ETHOS TWE-1 TRAIN WRECK EXPRESS ...all high tech engineered

 CUSTOM TONES ETHOS TWE-1 TRAIN WRECK EXPRESS OD/PREAMP 

$225.00 USD

Engineering, engineering, engineered! At one time the guitar pedal makers were not engineers. They were more likely guys that repaired home entertainment equipment like radios televisions etc.
They usually had different levels of education and many were self taught. Trial and error reigned supreme. Now we have a bit of all types.
Some of the best pedals ever made and are still made by amateurs. These people are not afraid to think out of the box because they have never been in the box. LOL
But today there are so many engineers that there are always some that...
...play the guitar
...that are infatuated with pedals and have the skills to turn the sounds they hear into a product that sounds and plays flawlessly.

The TWE-1 is the out come of these new pioneers.
All pedals have an over all tone that is often loved or not.
This is no exception.
But as for features and execution of how a real tube amp
reacts from input to speaker to the time it hits your ear
this has no competition.

Nothing is missed It mimics even the effect of sag from the amps transformers and rectifier.
Puting the pedal on modern pushes up the gain and forces the rectifier to scoop exactly like tubes.
It also drops the headroom which increases the compression. The dynamics change
even from your touch. If you hit harder you make small changes in the gain which instantly
is dynamically followed by the pedal by changing all the above just by the small gain added by the force from how hard your pick hits the string.
This pedal reacts EXACTLY like the very best of the gourmet tube amps.

NO OTHER PEDAL DOES ALL THIS!!! ONLY A REAL TUBE AMP!!! and the TWE-1!!!


In short it is a flawless
piece of engineering!!!!
If you like the sound.
BUY IT!!!
It is impossible to find
a better designed pedal!!!


z

CONCLUSION
My only complaint with this pedal is that all my best OD pedals and 
I own 17 high end beauties.
I love the voicing of a Marshall especially a gourmet BIG Plexi This pedal has a fairly accurate voicing of the late Ken Fischer's Train Wreck Express amp. Although it was based off a Marshall Plexi the1959 Super Lead it could use either 6L6 or EL84 tubes 
it is in many ways half Fender. 


 
The TWE-1 to my ears has a very American sound. It reminds me a the famous Fender Bassman used as a blueprint for the Marshall Bluesbreaker and  is virtually the same. It isn't but in effect the results of choosing to emulate a TWA amp are the same.  

 Brett Kingman says at the end of the demo "One of the best I've tried in 2 or 3 years."
He makes his living by doing pedal demos. I watch them because you never get bull You do have to take note of what he does not say ... this is a guarded statement that he has said. In short he has to hold back the praise or he won't get more product to demo from Custom Tones competitors.
I have only heard him give the equivalent praise once in 2 years.

The damn thing has such great dynamics. The word 'thrilling' comes to mind. I own a few pedals where I find the overall tone more pleasing.
BUT ... when it came time for a solo and this was sitting beside them which would I pick.
It is very innovative but there are a lot of OD's that are equally  if not more appealing.
Unfortunately many big names spend the research money on marketing which is both unfair to small innovative companies and the naive players.
Damned if I buy it ...Damned if I don't!!!

Damned if don't... I just put a few OD's on Reverb!!!

When I get mine I will invite my audience on a roller coaster ride 

before every time the urge to shred hits me.

MY FRIEDMAN BE-OD WAS JUST SOLD!!!
so you know how much faith I have in the TWE-1

JAN.29/2018
So today I got my pedal.
It lives up to everything shown and discussed in the video.
It truly is versatile...it can do everything from a fairly light gain to Metal and in between you can colour the sound a dozen different ways.
In short if you only were going to have one single OD.
...THIS IS IT!!!
                               Money well spent!    

1 comment: