Friday, January 6, 2023

OVERDIVE- J ROCKETT AUDIO The Dude V2 ...Dumble? sort of

J ROCKETT AUDIO|THE DUDE v.2 
$200.00 USD
The company has been around for a long time. They are in Nashville and have often teamed up with several Nashville session players to Beta test their prototypes and get feedback. When they did their Klon they hired 
Bill Finnegan to help on the design but according to him did not pay him and changed his design so that in his opinion they f.ed it. I bought their take on a Plexi. It was the worse MIAB I have ever owned. 
I literally hated it. 
I do have their Immortal Echo a small analog delay. It is is very bright and could pass as a digital delay. 
I use it when I fell I need a digital delay vibe and it works quite well.

The DUDE is based on The Reverend 'Boutique' guitar Amp's Kingsnake This is a take
on a particular one off Dumble amp. So the pedal is a copy of a copy, lol.
Since every Dumble was a one off it may or may not sound like it, lol. Robben Ford 
and Larry Charltion are said to have one. Both these guys own a real Dumble which I am sure is used to record. I expect the Reverend is used to gig. Even this means very 
little since these guy often use just a Fender as they travel without an amp and 
use what is provided by the guy that booked them at a gig.
The layout is Level, Blend (of clean and dirt) Treble and Bass.

CONCLUSION
It is a D-in-a-Box. Definitely 'sort of'. It does have a usable 
and different sound. It is medium gain sound with a mellow 
tone. The cleans mixed in definitely adds to a very nice 
clarity to the tone. 


4 comments:

  1. As a Dumble, would you recommend the OneControl Golden Acorn ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not the guy to ask. First there are no 2 real Dumble amps the same and no two Dumble pedals the same. On the whole I can only really be really close on an Amp-in-a -Box because I can at minimum compare it to the actual amp it is claims it sounds like. I find in general if a pedal says it has a Dumble it goes for a hot rodded Fender with added headroom. The real Dumble used the schematic of a Bassman as it's starting point. The Dumble amp had a lot more headroom so mixing in some cleans creates that illusion on a pedal. I am not saying not to buy one. I have bought but sold a few but just get one you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the Golden Acorn more than a Lovepedal/Hermida Black Majik Zen Drive, almost as much as a Wampler Super Ecstasy/Euphoria.

    The Golden Acorn is a fine pedal. Haven't played any Dumble amps but amongst D-style pedals it's really nice.

    ReplyDelete