Friday, January 20, 2023

OVERDRIVE- JV EFFECTS Honeycomb OD ...new company, quality handmade ...Cheap!

JV EFFECTS| HONEYCOMB OD 
$85.00 USD
Like many small startups this company from Malta is on Reverb. It makes sense as perhaps it is often just one guy building pedals on his kitchen table and with no business experience. Both he and the customer have a 'store' to sell from that is trusted. Companies this small neither have the time or money to promote their pedals so except for reviewers they are invisible. 
It is however these small builders where 99% of the really cool pedals come from. The Klon is the best example of this. New builders have no choice but to sell as cheap as possible to temp t you to buy and to win your trust on your first purchase.
Everyone starts with clones. The best add something new or improve on the original.
The Honeycoomb is a take on the Beetronics Fat Bee OD which is a medium gain OD with a warm rich sound with a bit of mid 60's Brit Fuzz vibe. A pedal I loved when I heard it but like all their product it is pricey in a large part do to extreme ornamentation and hand art work on the casings.
The layout is a simple volume, gain and tone.
CONCLUSION
You get a standard 'B' style casing with simple but tasteful graphics and a handmade pedal using quality parts at a cheap and cheerful price. It has a very pleasing warm sound that is transparent in it's lower gain region. Pushed it is really full and warm but not muddy. Nothing wrong with the sound. I can not fault it for not fitting into my primarily aggressive music. I see it as more of an Indie/Alt, Americana type thing.



4 comments:

  1. Is it the same as the Caline Honey Comb Tone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Caline makes clone pedals of the classics. JV is about taking niche market pedals like the $300.00 USD Hudson Broadcast and cloning that for $90. ...( I will soon do a review of it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another builder I've discovered thanks to your your blog : Defects. I bought the Fuzz Fight and it is now my favorite fuzz. It sounds exactly the same as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUsqM7o1tI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your reviews and for introducing us to new small builders - my bank account is much poorer since I started reading your reviews but I'm enjoying my pedals - keep up the good work - this is a great pedal if you re looking for a smooth mid-gain ,bordering on fuzz pedal - it sounds just like the you tube video demo - I think I need a bigger pedalboard.....

    ReplyDelete