Monday, January 9, 2023

OVERDRIVE- TC ELECTRONIC Magus Pro Distortion ...their v.2 Rat

TC ELECTRONIC MAGUS PRO DISTORTION
$80.00 USD
This is their second take on the Rat. They downsized the enclosure and added a switch to give you the voicing of the Turbo Rat and the Fat Rat.
The layout is volume, gain and filter. The filter is really just nothing more than a tone control wired backwards so your knob sweeps from highs to lows. It is a pointless pain in the butt. The original ProCo Rat I expect did this as a marketing gimmick. The big deal with the original Rat was the LM308 OpAmp which is said to give the Rat a smoother distortion. It does I have one but it sits on a shelf because the Rat II that has remained the same for the last 20 years has more balz. No one buys a damn Rat for it's 'pretty sound'.
CONCLUSION
Well the pedal sounds as good as any of the so-called Gourmet versions. 
I think none of them have the balz, punch and aggression of the Ratt II. 
On the other hand the basic topography of this and all the others is a hardclipper distortion. The Magus is indeed that and a good one as well.  
The Rat II $80.00 USD, Yes, the same price. WTF!
 

4 comments:

  1. I've got the Jam Pedals rattler. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing Jam pedals makes isn't killer but it's not what I need. The Rat II has one sound on it that nails what I want. I mainly use it to tighten up a Fuzz or as boost with grit stacked on an OD. I use it when I need a really nasty abrasive sounds. The Jam has a it's own unique sounds and is great just on it's own. It can even be effective used to sub as a MIAB. I wouldn't describe the Jam as the audio equivalent of broken glass or steel wool but the Rat II fits that description, lol. The Rat II could never sub as a MIAB it is just too disgusting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you say that the Mower black secret is closer to the RAT II?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mooer black secret

    ReplyDelete