Thursday, May 13, 2021

OVERDRIVE- WAMPLER Gearbox ...Andy Wood sig. ...modded Tumnus & Pinnacle OD's

 WAMPLER GEARBOX OD 
$270.00 USD
The idea is simple take the must have bits 
of 2 of Wamplers best pedals. Throw in a gate and you are done.
Most of you know that the Pinnacle is Wamplers answer 
to a high gain Marshall-in-a-Box and the Tumnus is a Klon clone and is only second to a Tube Screamer as the pedal to stack on another  pedal or an amp to add as boost for more gain and a fat mid boost.It is laid out as 2 separate pedals with level, gain and a 3 way EQ for the Pinnacle side and level, gain and tone for the Tumnus. There is noise gate and a switch to choose which OD is stacked on which.
CONCLUSION
The Pinnacle is indeed a very good faux overkill Marshall style pedal. I had the Tumnus and hated it. The Klon thing to me is all about not just it's mid boost but a glassy sparkly tone. The Tumnus has none ...in fact I found it muddy and I did live with it for a year. I have noted that although it is really popular that it has been replaced on most of the fans of a Klon with a better Klon. BUT having said that most players have a Tube Screamer (which I also hate lol) or a Klon that is used as a boost or to tighten their dirt sound.
I am pleased that gates are slowly creeping onto OD pedals. For years they got a bad name because pedal versions were single end designs that chopped off the end of your notes. With modern 'Smart gates' this is not an issue.
On the up side the pedal does have tweaks to fit Andy Wood's preferences and the Klon side seem to me to have been tamed back to a gentle mid boost that adds a touch of resonance which reminds me of the resonance of a good Marshall 4x12 cabinet. The Pinnacle side is what it is and after several versions there is little to bitch about. It is to me in the modded Marshall JCM 800 style of amps and I have few of those pedals myself and have come close to buying every version as they came out but one by one found the several made by other makers.
If you wanted one OD to cover it all it will do it very, very well providing you are not into a super low gain just past dead clean sound or you are into a chugging Metal style heading into a Djent territory.

4 comments:

  1. I have two of the Tumnus Mini pedals on separate boards. I love the Tumnus and I have other klones like the Archer Ikon and Conspiracy Theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for joining in. It is all about getting input from guys that use and also hang onto a pedal. Am I right than like others you had the Tumnus first? If you had to pick one which would you choose?
    Actually I recently heard the Conspiracy Theory and liked it. BUT ...it did not sound very Klon like. The mids and that Klon resonance thing was very laid back in the overall sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the Tumnus first but still really like it - especially with Strats. Also - the MXR Sugar Drive works great for me as a clean boost. Probably my favorite Klone in my arsenal is the JRAD Archer Ikon. Although I do have a Decibelics Golden Horse coming later this month.

      Delete
  3. The Decibelics is killer!I think it is as close as it gets to the original. My thing is I was looking for an OD that will not killer any chime on a Strat. I tried everything even the MIJ super expense pedals. I wanted a Hendrix clean/dirty sound or an SRV sound. Even pedals designed and sold to do it ...do not. The best I found is using a Cusack Music Screamer which is a Tube Screamer that has a switch to change the symmetrical distortion of a TS to asymmetrical of a real tube. I then put it thru the Diamond Cornerstone OD which is their take on a Marshall Super Bass 200 watt amp. To make it sound real they run it at a high voltage. Because of that if you turn the gain really low you get a convincing Marshall on clean sound.The Cusack gives you overkill chime and the Diamond fattens the crap out of it.I know I nailed it because in the 70's I ran real Marshalls dimed. LOL When dimed they obviously gave you the cleanish Hendrix sound.:-)

    ReplyDelete