Sunday, May 5, 2019

OVERDRIVE- HIGHWIND AMPLIFICATION Direwolf a ts 808 circuit modded into a near Metal pedal

$160.00 USD
 HIGHWIND AMPLIFICATION DIREWOLF 

What hasn't been done by modding a Tube Screamer circuit??
The basic knobs for Level gain and tone are there. Another
allows you to blend in some clean tone for definition.
The interesting thing are 4 toggles labeled ...Bite, Growl, Mode and Boost.
They seem self explanatory but ya just gotta hear them to know what they do.
The mode is dead cool ...when move lowest it creates a lovely 'splodge' when the pedal reaches maximum saturation!!! Gotta love it!


CONCLUSION
Well for a straight up Metal sound the REVV stuff blows it out of the water. For that grungy stuff I would get the MP Custom FX Gainiac Plus. At $100.00 USD it a steal!!
The reviewer thinks it is some kind of milestone????
What the F. is he thinking of???
It makes some interesting noises ...it may have some versatility ...but who needs a pedal that does many things just barely OK when other pedals may only do one ...but ya just gotta say WOW!!! when you hear them.
There is thrift and there is cheaping out.
Get a REVV and a Gainiac and all the bases on this vid are covered with pedals that will not let you down. Start with the Gainiac if money is tight. Save $60.00 USD instead of wasting it!

2 comments:

  1. I am having a hard time figuring out if you've tried this in person or not, and I also can't tell if you are saying it's a good pedal or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's saying that the Direwolf may be a bit overhyped and overpriced for what it is. I've had one for a bit over a year now and all I can say is that it is a good TS variant, but it didn't knock my socks off. I can get the same or better tones, for my purposes, from much less expensive and more readily available pedals without question. I think Paul's review concurs with that sentiment.

    Do I regret purchasing the Direwolf? Absolutely not! It's a very well made and useful pedal and I'm happy to have it in my collection. It just didn't live up to all the hype it's been getting, in my opinion. For others I'm sure it is the holy grail of overdrives and exactly what they've been looking for.

    If you've got money to spare and are a bit of a collector of overdrive pedals, then it is worth having for variety if you can get hold of one used or are willing to wait for Highwind to build a batch for sale.

    I'm still waiting on delivery of a Phalanx noise gate from Highwind as well. Hoping it lives up to expectations...

    ReplyDelete