Friday, May 17, 2019

OVERDRIVE- ZenZero ELECTRONICS Habu Metal Dist. ...KILLER ...I BOUGHT ONE!!!

$215.00 USD
 ZenZero Habu HEAVY METAL DISTORTION 
Is this the fattest sounding OD on the planet?
Well yes ...but no. lol
The fattest is the Goosoniqueworx Cult, BUT!
It seems too have quietly evaporated ...in short it is out of business. So the Habu perhaps is a close second. 
Better still you can actually buy one. YES!!!

Zen Zero to be specific is Giulio Motta ...an Italian guy living in Toyko Japan. 
A devoted gourmet pedal maker that not surprising is all about using quality parts and his pedals build quality is stellar. 
The Habu has a 3 way EQ and your standard volume and gain. Nothing else needs to be said as this pedal 'speaks for itself.' 

Metal pedals have got more and more distorted.
They have more gain. BUT ...in order to play modern Metal with it's capacity to keep a constant pulsing quarter note rhythm going it requires killing the fatness to get more definition and a very percussive attack. The Habu is massively fat but the attack is not soft or muddy yet it maintains a massive and rich tone. It is nothing near that of a dgent pedal. But you are rewarded with an OD where the harmonics are not smeared and there is a great texture to all it's mass. Z.Z. have done all this without any annoying fizz!

Drumming  your audience on the head with a hammer like attack is one thing but dropping the entire Chrysler building on them with one power chord is a lot more fun. lol


CONCLUSION
 I just couldn't get this pedal out of my mind. So over a few days I came back to this Post
and listened again and again.
Since retiring my Fuzz pedals I miss having a stupidly aggressive wall of sound especially on 3 particular tunes I wrote. 
I am using a couple of Plexi pedals that are exceptionally fat but no where near the massive slam of the Habu!

Bottom line?
I PAYPALED some coin to Giulio to get him back to his shop and make me a pedal :-)
Actually Guilio sent me an E. just a few minutes past me making my order with a thanx and telling me that my pedal will be shipped immediately!!!!
I think I am going to start checking out his other pedals. lol

HANDS ON
If you are like most players these day you do not have a $3000.00 plus Metal stack to take to the gig. You have a 30 to 50 watt combo amp with a single 12" speaker.
Even if you could afford a jumbo rig you couldn't get it the in your beat up van with the whole bands crap to get to the job. 
I got this pedal and it went smoothly into the songs I bought it for. I got a nice fat sound on a few songs that needed power chords that made a statement but did fight the vocals singing over them.One thing I find that right out of the box like other Japanese gourmet pedals the fit and finish and hardware on the exterior  of the box grabs your eye because you are looking at the best money can buy! Even the art work that seems less then exciting turns to dazzle you buy it's attention to detail.
 The other thing I find is the Japanese pedals are often not as dramatic as perhaps an American equivalent. BUT!!! A few months after you have them they turn out to have a hundred detailed subtleties in the tone that do not show up on day one. Secondly they simply do the job to the point you become complacent at how damn well they do it. In short they become a KEEPER. A pedal that does not need and will not be sold to buy an upgrade!
Highly recommended!

FINAL WORD
Well I have been using it at my daily band rehearsals.Perfect!!! I am getting the sound I want 
and it is not fighting the bands mix. It has sound that contrasts with the the P. Bass and the drums and keeps out of their way. The band loves it!
So guys check out the Zen Zero site. 
Gulio is a great guy to deal with. He really gives a sh@t that you are going to like his pedals.
I will most certainly be going back to Z.Z.
Remember if you don't support guy's like him ...they will go and you will end up with the big guys and their deep pockets that can sell you junk and will if you have no choice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment