Friday, March 15, 2024

OVERDRIVE- JOYO R17 Dark Flame Distortion... A REVV G3 or G4 clone ???

JOYO R17 
DARK FLAME DISTORTION
$55.00 USD
When REVV brought out their pedals that cloned their own amps the world stop turning on its axis. No one had done this ...yet, lol. It started something but even today the REVV pedals are huge sellers and they hold their value used. There are no deals. I had the REVV G4 for a couple of years and did not use it much. For one thing I run my rig at unity gain and the REVV likes to have the level set a little hot or it sounds distant and too dark.
The layout is Volume, Gain, Bass, Mids and Treble and has a toggle to switch on  some presence.
CONCLUSION ___
It does what it sets out to do but lacks any character. Both pedals remind me of a modeled sound that just lays there like wallpaper😔
I replaced my REVV with the Soldano SLO which matches the Revv 
for punch etc. but it has distinct character. It gets used big time.
That said ...it is an ascetic not a technical argument and thousands love both pedals. So if it hits you, go for it the price is OK.

3 comments:

  1. Is the DemonFx revv3 a better choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DemonFX are $70.00 USD and they sounded much the same. There are very few reviews and what there were sounded a bit muddy. They are in the ballpark but to me they did not sound like the REVV. The REVV had a high upper mids thing that none of the clones have. Actually I did not like the high upper mids thing, LOL
    According to Joyo the Joyo is not trying to nail the R3 or R4 but get something between them both.
    The overall sound of both the DemonFX R types and Joyo are too close to have an easy winner. It would really get down to me to how they responded dynamically which i could not tell without playing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ! I’ve just seen a comment on Amazon suggesting to change three transistors values to make the DemonFx sound as close as possible of the Revv

    ReplyDelete