Thursday, June 9, 2022

OVERDRIVE-JHS Superbolt V2 Overdrive ...a Supro-in-a-Box ???

JHS SUPERBOLT OVERDRIVE 
$200.00 USD
This one arrived in 2012 so if not the first it certainly 
is a very early alternative 
Amp-in-a-Box. It is a take on an early Supro Thunderbolt a small class A amp. Yes it is meant to have an early Page sound. 
How authentic it is to a real Supro gives me some question. I bought the Supro Drive in 2016 and one day I had a video going on my laptop that once it was finished went on to play another. I was not at my desk so I could not here it. I instantly recognized the sound of some guy playing my pedal. When I got to my desk to look I was blown away because the the guy was actually playing a Supro amp. To be fair my authentic
Supro sound is more of a light crunch pedal not a screamer like the JHS.
The layout has the usual volume, tone and gain but also a toggle to switch on a gain stage. An external  foot switch can be used but is not included.
CONCLUSION
It can make a very crystal clear transparent sound yet it sounds quite good with it searing slightly metallic sound and really rips with the boost on. I imagine if stacked on 
a Marshall Overdrive it could be great as boost for some really interesting Metal sounds. 
Like the Supro Drive both really are perfect with a Tele. In fact I only use mine with a Tele.

 

 

the fine print
If it's really a Supro sound and not 
specifically a Page sound you want 
check out my Aug 26, 2016 post

No comments:

Post a Comment