Wednesday, June 15, 2022

OVERDRIVE- DEMONIC MACHINES Alleborith Distortion ...Doom without gloom

DEMONIC MACHINES ALLEBORITH DISTORTION 
$125.00 USD
It all started with a design pulling out the basic topography of the classic Rat. A Rat is actually an excessively high gain overdrive not a Fuzz. Boosted hard enough the signal becomes a square wave so it sounds like Fuzz but it allows for more control of the signal. In short you are not fighting against drop outs and uncontrollable spit and sputter like you do with a Fuzz. That said getting a great tone out of it takes a lot control over the EQ to make the basic voicing give you usable tones.
The lay out is volume, gain, and the tone is controlled by filter and tilt. Which is double speak for a standard tone control for cutting the top end and a quasi parametric mid control. In short it can dial in the sweet spot. A toggle gives you a choice of 
Germanium+Silicon, LED or MOSFET voices.
CONCLUSION
As many readers know I have a power trio that play my 30 odd tunes borrowing from Metal approaches to composition from every genre blended in a single tune. I may use a half time whole note riff with Doom sound for the middle 8 but go into something with a Sabbath vibe for the verse but then a Prog Metal thing on the chorus. My point is you 
don't have to be in a Doom genre to use a Doom pedal. What I love about the Alleborith 
is its precise control. As I explained with my middle 8 reference I am in then out in a 
hurry with a pedal. It has to be tight and deliver. The pedal does all the above and 
sells for a very reasonable price.
Alleborith Distortion, playing starts at 6:00
the fine print
All considered any Rat is indeed a OpAmp dirt pedal as is the Keeley Moon.
The 'Moon' is has a raspy rough sound as opposed to the smooth organ like tone of the
Allelborith. Both are trying to cover the same territory. At $150.00 USD it is
in the ballpark for your outlay. I just ordered the Keeley as I find that rasp gives it a lot of
definition and will contrast rather then get lost because of my bands bass guitar.
To the point both are good but a comparison is prudent.

No comments:

Post a Comment