Tuesday, January 18, 2022

PEDALS- MAESTRO by Gibson - the very first pedal company on the planet is back!

MAESTRO PEDALS 

Back in the 1965  Gibson had a separate brand for music accessories many not guitar related. They decided to produce on licence a new device call the Fuzz Tone designed by Glen Snoddy and Revis V. Hobbs. They use their Maestro name probably to sell it thru all dealers not just Gibson.
Gibson were very enthusiastic about this new 'thing' and on initial release made a fairly large quantity of pedals. However the pedal tanked and in order to get some out there they gave away free if you bought a Gibson amp. 
In fact I bought one from a Country guy who tried it out in the store screaming explicit deletes when he heard it. While he was making the purchase of the amp I offered him all the money I had in my pocket, $17. He took it!
Keith Richards used the Fuzz on the Stones hit Satisfaction and put 'Fuzz' on the map. Happily bailing out Gibsons new toy.
Maestro went on to produce the first Phaser and slowly added other pedals. They faded away I believe because unlike small builders that followed they were never in touch with what modern players in the clubs wanted. There product are oversized in large pricey enclosures using the household kitchen appliances colors of the day. They looked made for one's Mother not the Rock club.
At the time it was the only Phaser made, so, yes I bought one, lol.

ALL NEW & UPDATED

Today Gibson released 5 new pedals. They have tried to find a balance between being up to date but still having vintage vibe. They sound good but is just 'good' ...good enough??
CONCLUSION
Priced at $150.00 USD for all but the Delay at $160.00 USD they should do well.
Oddly enough the Distortion is quite good but perhaps does not really fit the image of the brand. The Fuzz will do well. Oddly enough more with those that are anything but Fuzz aficionado's. First time Fuzz guys will love it.




























3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the retro look of these pedals. I'll prolly try to snag all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, been digging you blog for a few years now. Great work. Informative and fun to read. Quick question on the Browne Carbon and Protein pedals. Is the "Carbon Side" of the Protein identical to the stand-alone Carbon? If so, it seems to me the Protein might be the one to get since, for an additional $100, you the Nobles OD section as well. Thoughts? - Jeffrey S. in New Olreans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. the Protein has the Carbon in it with a Nobles on the other side. I prefer pedals separate as I seldom like both sides. If I find something I prefer later I only have a single pedal to sell. I also use a switcher, so again I like to separate pedals onto different switches and even be in different banks or groups.

      Delete