Monday, March 1, 2021

DO YOU BUY PEDALS YOU DO NOT NEED?

I BUY PEDALS I DO NOT NEED
I am always rationalizing why I need a pedal. Even if I do need a pedal it is often one I want to solve a sonic problem so I will buy something I only hope to do the job and have my doubts from the get go.
What makes it all a bit nasty is my income is now all erratic as I freelance whatever talents I have for a bit of cash. Before covid I had a day job with some reasonably 
decent money. Fortunately I saved a fair bit but it will not last forever.

I also keep finding pedals that give me a buzz. I especially love a pedal if not just for the sound but for the look and the price. Even if I have the pedal covered with one I already own.
TWO ON MY RADAR

CALINE CP-03 QUEEN BEE OVERDRIVE
Case in point. I have over the last year been smitten by the raucous sound of the 'old style hard clippers. The first one ever made was the ProCo Rat using a tech based off of an OpAmp and clipping diodes instead of transistors cascaded to overdrive each other. The Caline is not as nasty as a RAT but has a very cool medium gain sound. At $45.00 USD it is hard to pass on. I have a RAT that can cover the ground so WTF am I thinking of LOL


DOLAMO D-8 OVERDRIVE
This is a knock-off of the popular Xotic RC Booster. The Xotic is tighter and cleaner but calling it a booster is misleading. 
It is more of a transparent OD. The D-8 has a coarser distortion probably due to using budget brand components. Damned if I care ...todays cheaper components may not sound as good or even be noisier BUT these days they are equally reliable. In short this pedal will take a beating. By today's standards parts used in the classic 60's pedals are total junk. But WTF they sounded killer so who cares!!!
Then there is the look to hook me. The casing looks like the same standard 'B' box as a MXR Phase 90 ...but it is 3/4' shorter. In a pic it looks like a 
large pedal but it is actually small. Then it is irresistibly orange with 
a cool retro print and graphics. At $25.00 USD this one is painful to resist.

3 hours later.
I just bought the damn thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment