Sunday, December 6, 2020

OVERDRIVE- CHEVTONE- Honeyburst ...a germanium OD

$210.00 USD
 CHEVTONE HONEYBURST OVERDRIVE 
Germanium transistors are what gave birth to the classic original Fuzz boxes. On the plus side they can be very rich, full and have a beautiful blooming quality.
The problem is it is bitch to keep the circuit from having a nasty nasal sound that on the worst make them sound like the soundtrack for a 60's Surf movie corny and adolescent.
Adam Dyeomen is from the UK where as we all know spawns some killer pedals. He has managed to give you one of best of it's kind.
The layout has the expected volume, tone and gain. A toggle gives you a choice between silicone, LED or germanium clipping diodes. The LED makes it a very useful substitute for the usual typical transparent type pedals. 
The silicon gives you a good take on the early vintage OD's and has great attack.

CONCLUSION
What makes this pedal stand out and give it some originally is the germanium sound. It is really nice to have the several options especially as unlike many other OD's they are not just decorative features to sell pedals but serious usable tones.  BUT with it's killer germanium sound it doesn't even need them to be the great pedal it is. If you had in mind a Boss OD in the future you should  take a serious listen to the Chevtone it can cover any space the Boss fills and take your sound to a much higher level.
Adam has very big, passionate and very, very loyal following that love all his pedals. They have been keeping him going even though he has been deep under the radar. It is great to see has moved up to very nicely laid out modern site. It is worth a look to see his other pedals. All the pedals use a classic look but with subtle but distinctive look in the detail.
This pedal is well worth keeping on your short list!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ah yet another pedal "review" of a pedal you haven't even played. Still, at least you got it right in this one and didn't decide to recommend a cheap Chinese pedal instead. And how interesting that your "review" is posted within a couple of hours of Leigh Fuges video going live. Ever feel like it might be time to stop leaching off others work and actually start playing some of these pedals yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 392,578 followers. Everytime they watch a video the guy that provides it gets the some money. So Leigh Fuges not only gets paid the same as if they went direct to him so he free extra hits. Secondly while they are at his site many will subscribe and return on their own. Leaching ...I get paid nothing. I provide a free a service to both to both the youtubers and my patrons. I spend $20,000.00 a year on pedals because I buy the pedals I recommend and then go back the Post and do a hands on. I think if you look on any site most reviewers review no more than one pedal a week by playing them I never do less most do 2 a week. I also play them. So by simple logic I would know twice as much as the average reviewer since I play twice as many pedals. I am expecting Dave Friedmans new pedal the Small Box Overdrive and Thurlby Fat General within days so I will have 2 great pedals to update my reviews. So I do play the pedals myself I just do not film them.I fail to see and I think so will any one reading this how your accusations of leaching have even the smallest of merit. ,,Have a nice da :-) Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul. Keep up the great work. Like everyone else you watch. Listen and then you actually give an opinion. You also buy and update all of us. Sometimes over the period of months (marshall origin)

    99% of the videos you link to are promotional material. None of them ever give an opinion or say anything bad about a pedal. That would hurt their revenue stream.

    ReplyDelete