Wednesday, December 16, 2020

FUZZ- MATTOVERSE ELECTRONICS Bad Passenger Fuzz MKII ... overweight Smashing Pumpkin noises :-)

$100.00 USD
 MATTOVERSE ELECTRONICS 
 BAD PASSENGER MK II 

First Mattoverse is a one man show ...Matt! It has been
my experience that guys like Matt above all else love what they do and 99% the time I have got a killer pedal. I have said it before and I will say it again. If you do not support guys like Matt you will get worse junk from the big boys than they already offer!

THE FUZZ
Take an Opamp and a few cascading transistors and a few months and a large bottle of aspirins and you too can design a great Op-Amp Fuzz!!! Or not!
Yes another one of my cynical cheapshots at a perfectly good big noise Fuzz!!
It starts off with an OpAmp and a diode or two to give you lots of low end grind and spits and sputters a plenty! When you turn up the knob another then another then another transistor kicks in 
and changes both the gain and character of the Fuzz. 
A switch gives you two voices either bright and aggressive or 
dark and saturated with lots of sustaining  compression.

CONCLUSION
Well it is really quite impressive. On one hand 
it can be set up to be used in multitude of Rock genres and certainly all the Metal genres.
It got me curious so I spent a couple of hours having a listen to a few dozen 'Heavy +' Fuzzes that I have reviewed. That is a lot of Fuzzes going back several years. A few could meet this head to head yet do a lot of standard type Fuzz/OD in addition..
But those extras can be done with the best of the $30 China Fuzzes or like me you already own one or two other Fuzzes. Perhaps a Fuzz Face or Muff etc.are already taking care of those sounds. Some of these other Fuzzes I checked had perhaps a bit more density in the low end but NOT a fatter low end.
All were more expensive and cost between $150 to $350.
Bottom line!!! This is a f.ing steal! So end your year on a 
high note! ....Buy yourself a Xmas present!

I did I ordered one!!!! It was processed and on it's way in literally minutes!
WTF ...thank you Matt!

HANDS ON REVIEW
OK... I got my pedal.
First it has more and cooler case candy then any pedal I've every got.
In short it is FUN stuff. You get a miniature paratrooper parachute and all :-) It was all so much fun it took me a half hour to stop and try the pedal. LOL

The casing and graphics are top notch. It has a high tech black textured finish which gives it a really upmarket look.
For a high gain pedal it is unusually quiet.
It has plenty of level and gain and the switch gives you 2 quite different sounds. One has the massive sound and the other has nice cutting lead sound that is still nice and fat. The sound is open but tight enough to please the OD guy who doesn't like the unruly out of control sound of 
many, many Fuzz pedals.
In short you do not get a compromised product. The pedal is as good as a $200 pedal by companies that have a high profile and reputation.
It is an incredible value for money!
Bottom line ...a KILLER pedal cheap!!!! Buy one it is a KEEPER!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment