Friday, September 22, 2023

OVERDRIVE- WAMPLER Tweed '57 & the Black '65 Ltd.Ed. ____ NEW ____ Fender-in-a-Box returns

YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT A PENCIL MUST BE LEAD
Let me first deal the big, big problem with these kind of pedals. Think of the average Fender amps sound for decades. They are basically famous for a scooped sound with bright crisp highs and a tight low end. The really old Fenders had much more dirt and softer highs. You can turn a new Fender Hot Rod amp into a Tweed sound since it fills the scoop with mids etc.
An amp with a basic Brit sound has a fat mid sound. think of a MIAB put into a Fender is like putting a mountain over a valley so your Fender really sounds Marshall. But you can not put a Fender pedal sound which creates valleys over a Marshall mountain sound amp. That mountain just fills in the valleys and you end up with a mess not a Fender sound coming out of your Marshall. Do I exaggerate, can you tell me exceptions? Yes but if your goal is to fool me you own a Marshall when it is just a pedal it will not be hard and I own a Marshall. Big but?  Convincing me you have a Fender sound coming out of your Marshall will be a miracle and if true I will buy that pedal. 

WAMPLER
TWEED '57 
$200.00 USD
Yes Wampler has brought back their discontinued Fender Tweed in a Box. Nothing new but as I pointed out is you own an amp with 6L6 or 6V6 American power amp tubes or a solid state amp voiced to sound Fenderish then these pedals can be very impressive. The layout is Volume, Teble, Mid, Bass and gain with a toggle to add a Fender bright Link has no info but it sounds like scoop?  
 
CONCLUSION ___
Well it has a good hard clipper like Hard Rock Blues Rock vibe. 
But as for sounding Tweed???  WTF!!! 
I can see why it was discontinued. As an OD, OK but as a faux Tweed, give me a break!!! 
 

$200.00 USD
WAMPLER
BLACK '65 
I had both a Blackface Super Reverb and a Bassmen head. I had a classic blues gig playing Chicago Blues doing Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf etc. tunes. So the amps worked just fine. No pedals and to be honest the sound was OK not thrilling. A few years later and I had a Marshall Plexi and that sucker was f-ing exciting.  
 
CONCLUSION ___
It is a nice beefy hard rock pedal but 
it doesn't sound anything like the Fenders I had??? 
Does it sound SRV??? It should. But ????

No comments:

Post a Comment