Sunday, January 6, 2019

___PART 2.___OVERDRIVE-SURPRISE SOUND LAB HVO ...Killer!!! Killer!!! Killer!!!

SURPRISE SOUND LAB HVO

$280.00 USD
Well I took delivery of the HVO that I have been waiting for since October 2018.
Those that have followed the saga from the ...
___PART 1.___ Post
know that this is a pedal that uses a full 250 volts. Except for using FET type transistors instead of tubes in it's design it is virtually what you would find in the preamp section of an all tube gourmet amp.
In short plug this box into input of the effects loop of a gourmet amp and let it sub for the pre and the difference should be negligible. In short you could not tell

IS IT THAT GOOD ?
Please sit down.
YES!!!

We all have different tastes and idea's of what great sound is.
You can argue even when it gets down to a Marshall type pedal that can nail the sound.
Is it the tone ....or is it also the response!!!  If it were just the tone we would all go for digital modeling. On a recording the difference between it and an all tube amp are simply not there.

But try playing a good tube amp for a week if you haven't! Whoa!!!

Well the HVO is like having the tube amp experience. You can not only hear the difference you can feel it!!!!
Two things are noticeable right away. The attack of your pick hitting the string is instant so it blows away every pedal I ever played for transient response.
No matter how much gain you use you can hear clear and accurate string definition.
With nearly all other medium gain let alone high gain pedals if you use finger picking or arpeggio's they turn to mud and you soon learn to save that kind of playing for low gain OD's or just play clean.
The sustain is as good or better then anything I have ever tried.

LIKE ALL GOOD DIRT PEDALS IT HAS A SOUND OF IT'S OWN
well sort of lol
 The HVO pedal...
with everything on the pedal at about 12 o'clock ...it sounds remarkably like the Ceritone 2555 which is a an exact replica of a Marshall Super Lead 100 (Plexi) amp.Yes an amp ...not another pedal!


Go ahead and switch between the pedal video and the real amp!!!
So I will not ask you if you have heard better.

BUT ..have you heard anything closer to a real Marshall???

I have a few pedals on my board I like as much because they have a different sound and I like that too.
Are any of them better?  NO!!
The HVO will very likely over time displace more then a few pedals from my board.

CONCLUSION

I am very close to seeing this as the best OD on the planet.
But I am not quite there yet. All my favourite OD's have their minor short comings. Often It takes a few weeks to spot them. So I will be back to this Post in a few weeks.
What I will say is that if you were to asked me today what medium to high gain pedal should you get I would tell you.
 ...."Get an HVO."

No comments:

Post a Comment