Sunday, January 13, 2019

OVERDRIVE- ROCKTRON- Gary Hoey Intiminator Distortion ...a high gain distortion both fat and tight at a good price

ROCKTRON INTIMINATOR DISTORTION
$145.00 USD

The best that I can figure is Gary Hoey is a kind of  Joe Bonamassa wannabe. :-)

Rocktron seemed to have lost their way. The only pedal they still make that is quite good is their Hush noise reduction pedals. Great for cleaning up single coil PU's.

So at any rate a good pedal is a good pedal regardless.
It is a high gain OD that is very fat yet very tight. You can get some really heavy mids yet it keeps it's definition. The mids are actually very even across the spectrum high and low with the resonant point about dead center.

It is also unusually quiet.
It is not voiced for any amp I know of. It reminds me of a King of Tone with a lot more dirt.

CONCLUSION
Not bad. But if this is your tone check out the  Deep Trip Stormy Monday. It has a similar sound but is much more versatile as it sounds really good if you back it off into even a low medium gain distortion.

8 comments:

  1. Except that Gary Hoey was around long before Joe Bonamassa was famous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so Joe played with Danny Gatton when he was 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary Hoey was in Heavy Bones, and they put out their debut in 1992. Joe also opened for BB King at age 12 in 1989. So, I think Gary has the edge here as far as being a music industry vet. Gary is 17 years older, also, and auditioned for Ozzy in 1988. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard anything by Gary? He's clearly more of a Satriani-type player than a blues guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My whole point is the only thing posted online is that Mr. G.H. is in Disney's pocket and has the most outrageous price of maudlin trash with a Xmas show.The show is embarrassing.
    If you own a pedal company you want to make a pedal for someone who is hot, current,and cool.
    In short the pedal is quite good and it would sell better without good ol' G. H. plastered on it because the guy right now could not be any more uncool then he is at the moment.




    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I didn't know any of that. Fair enough. PS: I'm a bassist, but I really do love your page and your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your interest. To be honest I only put a high respect for originality and Joe B. has none. Compare him to payers under the radar like Robert Fripp or Allan Holdsworth. These players are totally original. Once you hear their playing you could hear anything they did and know who you were listening to. You could hear Joe play and think it could be any of hundreds of players.
    I tried covering pedals for bass players and know one read them. If you guys wrote back I would have continued,
    In fact the only pedals that always get read by guitarist are dirt pedals.I have review at least 300 and 300 is not an exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I LOVE pedals, ask my poor fiancee! ;) Most bassists aren't really trying to do radical tone changes, or anything like that, beyond, say, an envelope filter, or a chorus, or a flanger or synth, maybe. But I like wacky sounds and emulating other instruments. And I like cheap ridiculous pedals. Like the Joyo American Sound, which is a ripoff of the Tech21 Blonde(Fender) pedal...that thing has TONS OF BASS, so by clicking that one on, and plucking ON the neck(like upright players do), I can get a really bassy, thuddy, faux upright sound. :) Please keep the reviews coming. And I agree 100% about originality and the players you mentioned. Joe B., to me, sounds like Eric Johnson's best guitar student.

    ReplyDelete