Saturday, September 29, 2018

OVERDRIVE- FULLTONE OCD .... $35.00 USD ......yes you read that right

 FULLTONE OCD OD ...counterfeit !!!  

Yes you read that right. Mogoo pedals made a counterfeit
OCD a few years back and Fulltone went chasing after them.
So everytime they get a that nasty letter from the lawyers they lay low.
Every few months a few pedals suddenly appear then they
disappear back into hiding. So for the next couple of days you can get one for $35.00 USD with free shipping on AliExpress. May1/18 is too late!!!
How do they sound?
                       
                        The one on the left is the $35.00 USD fake. 
I do not know but the company has the reputation of making good clones. Who is going to make us a video of an illegal pedal?

I do not know the connection but Mosky and Mogoo are often selling the same pedals. I think Mogoo
pulls the strings. Mosky are their public face. There have over time been other names put on the Mogoo pedals too but always for a short time. I do know from 3 years back that Mogoo have a couple of good in house designers.

Mogoo does another one that shows up. The Maxon Graphic EQ. What is weird about that one is it comes in the same casing as the real OCD on this page when it should be in the casing that you see on their fake OCD.



I ordered one. If it is only a collectors item it will be fun to have.
I will be back with a  ...HANDS ON ...once I get it. I am expecting fairly accurate OCD sound.


So I got one and I finally found the time to check it out

HANDS ON



I bought the Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Drive  a few years ago having heard several convincing comparisons that convinced me it is the real deal ....I simply put my new Mogoo OCD up against it. 
could easily match the two. Depending on your slant the OCD is a bit warmer or the Joyo has a bit more bite.

Keep in mind there are 8 different versions of the 'real' OCD over 12 years. The Joyo came out in 2012 so it was voiced by what ever versions were available then. Even the Mogoo has been out a couple of years. To me the Mogoo sounds like a 1.6 ( the 6th model) the lows are the heaviest but I do not have all 8 pedals to try ...just video comparisons.

To make matters tougher the second and the newest sound alike even though the new one is a totally new pedal. The others were all a variation on the first circuit , board and casing.

AUG.2020
I have been able since to compare the Mogoo with a few real OCD pedals.I am sure if you had to pick it out of the 8 versions as the fake you just couldn't do it. lol
So i love it ...and I use on every gig.

Time to Digress
So I have outgrown my pedal board. Because of weight and bulk when gigging I am currently making 2 new boards I call the Twins. They will be  linked together as one with 2 small Art patchbays. They will hold 40 pedals on each. Yes I said 40 and yes that makes 80...lol.  (I own a lot more than that!!!) I have already chosen 70 to start. I have my eye on a few more new ones. I have a Fuzz and Bogner OD on the way and a custom made high gain OD made by Dereck Tabata who does custom OD pedals for the heavy hitters in California. He makes pedals like Dumble makes amps. Everyone different to suite not just the sound but the response from your touch. He has some basic models he works from. I picked 'Eddie' lol To say it sounds killer is an understatement! But I am have the sustain taken from insane made longer. lol
The way I use them is wire them up as 5 separate small boards. Each has it's own Compressor, Gate, Delay and Reverb. All have several OD's covering low gain, medium gain, high gain and Metal. Some have modulation pedals, a Fuzz and the odd this or that. I use a 5 way switcher. Instead of hitting a switch and bring on just one pedal I in effect switch on a whole board. I turn on the pedals needed for a tune in each of the 5. 
When I play a tune I can have one for the verse another for the chorus another for the middle eight etc.THis allows me quite literally to create the kind of sound you only otherwise hear on a post produced recording.
I have a power trio we play 21 songs that I have written. It is not unusual for us to play for an audience that for the most part never heard us. 
So I do not think what I do is overkill ...because >>> I only get one chance to make a first impression! 









2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul,
    You can save yourself some board space and get the ENO TC 16 Trouble Overdrive.
    Another cheeky OCD clone. Looks and sounds good for the money.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ENO-DRIVE-Trouble-TC-16-Trouble-In-Mind-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-True-Bypass/32809584103.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mosky also makes the mini version of this and most other moogoo pedals. Demon TS is the exception. Sounds great. You could build a great board for less than $100. The chorus alone is worth the price.

    ReplyDelete