Tuesday, July 13, 2021

OVERDRIVE- VOLTA "1987" v2 Hot Rod Dual channel Plexi ... maybe not? ...But does it sound cool all the same?

 VOLTA"1987" DUAL CHANNEL HOT RODDED PLEXI 
$215.00 USD
From Italy comes another Plexi. Yes  I am afraid Hot Rodded says it all. In short it is not like the Columbo Audio Plexi Breed which is a frighteningly good clone of the real amps but an impressionist take on the vibe of what we can call a Brit pedal.
For a start a '1987' Marshall is a master volume version of the JCM 800.
The layout is bit confusing to look at but 
it has the usual level, tone, and gain 
The 'eleven' control is virtually a foot switchable boost. A toggle switch appears to be a high pass filter to tighten the lows and a second toggle switch gives you a mid boost.
CONCLUSION
What it isn't is Marshall-in-Box. So we can only judge it on how it sounds. It definitely has great organic and fat sound and the general consensus is it beautifully dynamically sensitive to your touch.

the fine print
You should check out the Wheebo JCM Ltd.
The same idea but onto v3 after years of making it.
The sound can be dialed into the 1987 but
you also get Super fat earth shaking lows. 
Metal scoops, Classic sounds or anything 
in between it does it all without a nano 
bit of losing a Marshall tone.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Paul

    What do you think of the Lead Trilogy pedal from Colombo Audio Electronics? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got Luco's Plexi Breed and it is a killer accurate clone of the actual Plexi amps. I expect the same will be true of any JCM 800 he does. One thing is that none of these amps had a lot of sustain outside of feedback from the act that they are frighteningly loud. The LPD Pedals Seventy 8 is also a scary good JCM 800 but it was designed to have the famous 'Jose mod'. You can get a lot more sustain from it. It all gets down to how loud you play. I have a 50 watt Plexi set clean with an attenuator and at rehearsal I can not play loud enough to get any feedback. At a gig I can push it to maybe 30 watts just enough to get feedback. As you know I have other Plexi pedals I switch too for leads so I do not have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment, Paul
      Next Monday, I will receive my Plexi Breed pedal. Love it!

      Delete
  3. Dead cool!!!
    I love mine!
    You may have read it but I ordered the Lead Trilogy. I am working with Luco today. I know a lot of YouTubers and am trying to get them onboard with the Columbo pedals. I have done it several times so it is getting easier but it still takes time. At any given time all of us have priorities so do the YouTubers so I have to tread lightly :-)

    ReplyDelete